The Future of Audio Amplification

I have recently paired an Audio Research DS225 Class D amplifier with an Audio Research tube preamplifier (SP8 mkii). I cannot believe how wonderful and lifelike my music sounds. The DS225 replaced an Audio Research SD135 Class AB amplifier. Perhaps the SD135 is just not as good as some of the better quality amps that are out there, but it got me thinking that amazingly wonderful sonance can be achieved with a tubed pre and Class D amp. I have a hunch that as more people experience this combination, it will likely catch on and become the future path of many, if not most audiophile systems. It is interesting that Audio Research has been at the forefront of this development.
distortions
John Atkinson measured PS Audio's M700 monoblocks ability to produce 700 watts at 1%, and over 100 watts at 0.005%, both figures into 4 Ohms at 1K. At 30 watts into 4 Ohms, which many of us never exceed at normal listening levels, that number fell to 0.002%. From 20 to 20K at 20V, that number never rose above 0.2% into 4 Ohms; the figures were better into 8 Ohms. Not that distortion tells but a part of the story, is something not to worry about with well-designed Class D amplification.
@stevecham 

I'm talking low level distortion. .5, 1, 2, 5 watts... Very, very few class AB amps perform as well as a class A amp at single digits or fractions of a watt. Looking at a few class D examples measured on Stereophile, the low power distortion is horrendous. Looking at the Mytek Brooklyn, it makes a nifty .002% at 50 watts, but at .1 watts it's almost .02%, and the distortion waveform looks like a dumpster fire. None of the other measurements look much different for any other class D amp. That's an ungodly amount of distortion for such a low power level. Nobody can say with a straight face that kind of distortion isn't significantly coloring the sound. Most of what we call treble is defined by the behavior of amps below half a watt. 

Sorry, but even the most rudimentary 2 stage single ended class A amp can best that kind of performance. 
Class D amps sound cold and analytical to me. Maybe its all the feedback or the output filter. Meat is ultimately taken off the bones somehow.

Having said that, Class D is the future for better or worse. There is quite a bit of cost savings involved for amp makers. They can be pretty good with a tube pre amp as a bandaid.

I still have never seen a LED TV that can come close to my plasma. Plenty of people will say that LED has gotten better and surpassed plasma.

I guess it comes down to what we value and what properties are important to us. Class D and LED both win in efficiency and that is extended to form factor.
Nelson Pass once said

"The first watt is the most important watt"

Cheers George