Does a ripped cd onto a digital format sound better than the cd played on the cdp

the title says it all. if i rip my collection onto a sever will it increase SQ? dumb question i am sure but here i am. if the digital system is above average will it make the sound better?
128x128veroman

Since signal moves in cable at about 5ns/m then 3ns corresponds to about 0.6m. Any cable longer than that (including all internal connections of the source and receiver) will behave like transmission line (might have reflections).

It’s not sufficient to have the cable acting as a transmission-line. The inevitable reflections must be avoided at the receiver by selecting optimum lengths. This is why I recommend always at least 1.25m length or 6 inches, nothing in-between that. See this white-paper I wrote years ago on the subject:

https://positive-feedback.com/Issue14/spdif.htm

Steve N.

Empirical Audio

if you do have a music server/Mac/pc in your audio room, the best interface is i2s which nobody uses. I use Ethernet with cat7 cables since my dac has a network card built in, IMO, the only way to go.

I use I2S and many of my customers do also. Most of my products have I2S outputs and inputs. The problem with I2S is the lack of galvanic isolation and expensive cables, otherwise I love it because it does not get reclocked in most DAC’s. My S/PDIF is just as good BTW.

I agree with you on Ethernet. It’s the only way to go. There are still hoops to jump through to get great SQ however, like:

1) AQVOX or SOtM switch

2) CAT8 cables, Wire-World Platinum

3) Ethernet cable isolator, EMO EN-70e

If you do all of these, it will make a huge difference.

Steve N.

Empirical Audio

I was suprised how much better CD's  sounded after ripping to a music server vs from a CD player's digital output both going thru the same DAC. 
@cogito1965,

Have you listened to setups like described above? If so, what did you hear? If not, well...Cheers,
Spencer