Why Power Cables Affect Sound

I just bought a new CD player and was underwhelmed with it compared to my cheaper, lower quality CD player. That’s when it hit me that my cheaper CD player is using an upgraded power cable. When I put an upgraded power cable on my new CD player, the sound was instantly transformed: the treble was tamed, the music was more dynamic and lifelike, and overall more musical. 

This got me thinking as to how in the world a power cable can affect sound. I want to hear all of your ideas. Here’s one of my ideas:

I have heard from many sources that a good power cable is made of multiple gauge conductors from large gauge to small gauge. The electrons in a power cable are like a train with each electron acting as a train car. When a treble note is played, for example, the small gauge wires can react quickly because that “train” has much less mass than a large gauge conductor. If you only had one large gauge conductor, you would need to accelerate a very large train for a small, quick treble note, and this leads to poor dynamics. A similar analogy might be water in a pipe. A small pipe can react much quicker to higher frequencies than a large pipe due to the decreased mass/momentum of the water in the pipe. 

That’s one of my ideas. Now I want to hear your thoughts and have a general discussion of why power cables matter. 

If you don’t think power cables matter at all, please refrain from derailing the conversation with antagonism. There a time and place for that but not in this thread please. 
128x128mkgus
xyobgyn, 
Regarding my reference from the ARC amplifier manual:  Not only do they recommend using the best interconnects and speaker cables, but they also use and endorse better AC cords.  From Warren Gehl, Chief Listener at ARC, as written on the Sain Line Systems site:  

l use Sain Line Systems reference power cords and pure reference interconnects and consider them essential to getting the highest performance possible from our reference system and they are key tools for product development. 

I have combined the quote from the ARC manual with what I know about Warren Gehl and his use of reference AC power cords in product development, no less.  I have the advantage of the wholistic picture here---you do not--until now.  My sources are original and are highly regarded authorities--I have argued for the legitimacy of high-purity AC cords, interconnects and wires, I have explained to you why AC power modification is necessary.  I hope I have been of some service to and others who are wondering where to go in the next development of their systems.  

Cheers,  
Joe 

For whatever reason, my post was cut short. My CJ statement was supposed to indicate that the wire CJ uses, was selected, based on purchase price, availability and the requirements CJ needs to " get the job done " , probably not on sound quality ( from Electri Cord of the NE). An analogy : Tire manufacturers to vehicle manufacturers. The tires that come equipped with new vehicles are generally not the best available, as the vehicle manufacturer is not buying the best tire available ( in most cases ), even from the same manufacturer of the supplied tire. I likely will notice a change in the tires, by the ride and handling of the vehicle. Would a 12 year old sitting in the back of the vehicle notice ? The naysayers remind me of the kid in the back seat. Ear = designed to listen and hear. Most of us can hear direction of sounds, but, deeper within the brain = dissecting and descrambling the information, with the interpretation of better ( just go with different ) sq. Michael Green stated this earlier. Power cables are not new, but the controversy seems to be growing ,and I am with him in noticing. 20 years ago it was just accepted. I believe a reason is simply pricing. All of high end audio is expensive today. Ridiculously so. Best to you all. Enjoy ! MrD.
mrdecibel

and the requirements CJ needs to " get the job done "

Which would be: that their products sound great.

And somehow they've managed that over the years without adding boutique AC cables.

Note that CJ products have garnered great reviews through the many years where reviewers were simply using them with the supplied AC cables.

Most Conrad J. products have had hard-wired AC cables.  They aren't going to seriously hobble their own expensive equipment by choosing the wrong AC cable.  (I seem to remember an interview with one of the CJ guys saying they felt all told hard wiring the cord in was the better route to go, even though audiophiles like to play with cables, but it appears they conceded to the cable crowd in *some* of their later designs).
It's your money if you want to give it to the expensive AC cable market.But, sorry, the "I'm sure I heard  a difference" anecdotes fall well short of that SHOULD be able to be provided as evidence for these products, if they were really altering the signal.

This thread is quite interesting and has many posts with a variety of opinion, theories, pseudo science regarding electrons, and marketing material regurgitation. Also some good advice, reflection, and reputable electrical science.

I believe cables do make some difference.

They cannot compensate for or correct most electrical utility problems - how can the composition of 6 feet of wire reconstruct perfect 120 volt 60 Hz electricity after its being distorted and affected over hundreds of miles from the generating facility, utility switchgear, local industry and transformers, neighbors with unusual electrical loads, possible poor grounding bonds in the home service panel, and the cheap 14 gauge wire and 25 cent receptacles in typical modern homes.

A power cable with good conductors and contact, sufficient wire gauge, and excellent shielding can however maintain voltage level and keep the power from being corrupted by EMI/RFI at its most vulnerable - the lowest voltage end of the line state.

It is a question of not allowing it to get any worse from the wall to the component. If you are also using a good conditioner or regenerator, then the PC from there to your component is many multiples more important as you are removing many other potential effects and keeping the AC pure is far more possible.

Good conductors of sufficient gauge, good contact surfaces, excellent shielding. That will make a difference.

I think people would be further ahead to get rid of the stupid IEC and hardwire a decent gauge cord in instead of spending big bucks on some silly overpriced well marketed crap.