Magicos are chesty

admit it.

E
erik_squires

I heard just a tiny bit of this on the Magico A3.  I have a few tracks that bring it out - some Johnny Cash and even some Julie London tracks.

It wasn't nearly as bad as a number of other speakers, but it was there.

Personally, the best I've ever heard in terms of lack of that type of coloration has been my (now departed) Thiel 3.7 speakers.  It just didn't matter what range a singer was in, low, high, everything in between, there was never a hint of unnatural bloating or mechanical intrusions - just pure, rich, natural and utterly free of any boxy sensation. 

Another torture test is some Russian Orthodox Choir music (e.g. Ancient Echoes is an amazing CD!), with Basso Profondo voices.  These guys go so low you'd think the church organ had kicked in.  Once they hit those low notes you really start feeling the bass in your system and unless a system has really neutral, controlled sound it can sound more like "speaker bass" than human voices, or take on some speakerly quality.(Again, the Thiels just nailed this without breaking a sweat.  Others I've tried, not so much...)

(My current 2.7s are very good, but not quite as "perfect" to my ears in that regard).
@prof

I'm honestly a little surprised at this behavior in this price bracket, but I also got to hear a pair of floor standing McIntosh speakers, and they practically rattled with the human voice.

The McIntosh speakers I've listened to are to my ears perhaps the worst "high end" speakers I've encountered. 
The McIntosh speakers I've listened to are to my ears perhaps the worst "high end" speakers I've encountered.

That is a real shame. I'm a fan of the MTM array, in principle, but how you can avoid hearing that buzzing is beyond me. This was my first real opportunity to hear those array components.
Erik, Prof
 There is a recording we use that may expose discussed area above
  we call this lets see if the Cow Moos.
Chris Isaak off San Fransisco Days album tune 515  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHY08-uDv4A
  Best ,
JohnnyR