Magicos are chesty

admit it.

E
erik_squires
Haven't  heard Magico's. Now I don't know if is the chestiness your talking about. My Vienna Acoustics  Motzart Grands have a slight bit of more body than most speakers I have heard. And that it one of its endearing qualities to me. It has more natural body, maybe thickness, to me. And a lot of speakers I think lack that, and that gets tiring for me to listen to such spaekers. When you hear instruments and voices in real time and real space, and I have heard a lot of that, it has a feel to it that I get that with vienna' speakers and not with many others. I am sure there are many speakers that do what mine do and do it better. I am just saying I like the body or weight of the sound of my system and speakers. Maybe that is what Magico owners like  about those speakers.
More specifically you should say Magico S series speakers are chesty

having moved from V3 -> Q3 -> M3 I can say that there are profound changes in tonal profile moving between ranges

personally I have never like the S series finding them rather too hi fi in their presentation ie a bit over dramatic and florid, not unleasent but like a image enhanced digital print 

the shift from V to Q to M was all about reducing any colorations frankly such that at first blush the M sounds bland and lacking at the frequency extremes. Spend time with them however and you relax into what’s really on the disc, not what the speaker is imposing on it
the shift from V to Q to M was all about reducing any colorations frankly such that at first blush the M sounds bland and lacking at the frequency extremes.

Well that sure does sound like they have their  audience figured out!

Darn I thought those fancy extruded aluminum S series casings were all about absolute  low coloration ( and resonance)...
My guess is you are hearing the sound of the polypropylene plastic bucket that houses the midrange.

Polypropylene cones always had a chesty sound - as if the vocalist had a bit of a cold. It was apparent in many of those designs of the 80’s - BBC speakers and Mission 770 etc. Very popular back then as you punch the cone out of a sheet of polypropylene very cheaply.

The problem is that polypropylene is non-fibrous and tends to store rather than dissipate acoustic energy so it vibrates characteristically - not a good material either for a speaker cone or cabinet for a speaker cone.

You can observe this effect with any plastic bucket when you start filling it with water - the frequency is lower mid range.

More to discover