Turntables

I am kicking the idea of trying out vinyl. It’s been a long time since I had a turntable and it took a lot of thought whether I can deal with what always seemed like the snap, crackle & pops of an album. Anyway, I’ve decided to take a plunge after all the buzz how awesome it is. Of course before I make any final decisions, I always turn to the Audiogon community for their expert thoughts, opinions and education. I’m also looking for suggestions for a nice affordable table with tone arm and cartridge. Being the fact this is new to me and I may hate it, I’m looking for suggestions on the best affordable set up I can do for a new or used in the price range of $1000/$1500. I’m sure I can get a better bang for the buck going used. I just don’t know anything about these animals. My system is older but I still enjoy it which consist of a Mark Levinson 23.5 amp, Proceed AVP 2+6 used for 2 channel audio, Audio Acoustics model 9 speakers, Ayre DAC for digital with Transparent Audio Ultra mm2 cables. Any input is greatly appreciated!
128x128luvrockin
@chakster - The reason I was looking for used is because I was in a budget of $1500 hopefully complete. As I stated initially, I'm new to vinyl so I really wasn't aware of all the in's and out's. $1500 was hopefully a table and cartridge to plug and play. I can't buy a new Technics 1200 alone for $1500. @ Guitar Center which sells them they are $1699 plus tx. At the boutique audio store I deal with, they are $2k. Now add the cartridge and I found out I need a phono pre. Im at $2500 to $3k. I can't do that especially if I'm just jumping in. I have pretty awesome digital and I'm hoping vinyl is going to rock my analog world. If it don't, its gone as quickly as I bought it lol! I get your a huge Technics guy and if found a SL-1200G/GR for $1000  or $1100, adding the extra's (cartridge & phono pre) on top are more achievable. I hope this makes sense.
Try this on US Audio Mart or another one from Canada @luvrockin 
I see your point, but saving on Turntable is a bad idea if the difference is not that big. I'm sure you can find some decent MM/MI cartridges for $200-300.  
Do you have no where you can go and listen to a good vinyl set up just to see if it would even be worth your while?
With all the suggestions, I thank you all. I have looked into every one of them and decided to pull the trigger and have an invoice awaiting payment on a "mint" VPI Scout Aries with dust cover. No cartridge included. The deal is going to set me over budget a bit but I landed the table for $1200, which I think is pretty fair. Now onto the cartridge 
I do agree that if you’re going to get into this hobby you have to make sure you can adjust and set up your own turntable or else changes are almost impossible without spending money at a dealer every time. Takes the fun away for sure. Plus once you know how to set up a turntable you really begin to understand what makes it work and what you can do to change the sound.