Turntables

I am kicking the idea of trying out vinyl. It’s been a long time since I had a turntable and it took a lot of thought whether I can deal with what always seemed like the snap, crackle & pops of an album. Anyway, I’ve decided to take a plunge after all the buzz how awesome it is. Of course before I make any final decisions, I always turn to the Audiogon community for their expert thoughts, opinions and education. I’m also looking for suggestions for a nice affordable table with tone arm and cartridge. Being the fact this is new to me and I may hate it, I’m looking for suggestions on the best affordable set up I can do for a new or used in the price range of $1000/$1500. I’m sure I can get a better bang for the buck going used. I just don’t know anything about these animals. My system is older but I still enjoy it which consist of a Mark Levinson 23.5 amp, Proceed AVP 2+6 used for 2 channel audio, Audio Acoustics model 9 speakers, Ayre DAC for digital with Transparent Audio Ultra mm2 cables. Any input is greatly appreciated!
128x128luvrockin
For what it’s worth, I have a vintage Marantz 6300 which was one of the better TT’s offered in the mid 70’s. I always thought it was the cats ass with my Audio Technica AT15ss mm which was the best money could buy back then. I installed a NOS AT15ss stylus I found and it elevated things to a new level I had long forgotten.

Fast forward; I decided that I wanted to get a center piece of eye candy for the living room and started my search for a high end belt drive TT. After a lot of reading and chatting with some guys who know their stuff, I found a used, but in mint condition, VPI Ares3 TT with out a tonearm and it had the high end optional super platter. I got it for a great price and then found a used SME Series IV magnesium tonearm. I have the equipment to do the machine work to make up the arm-board and I spent two days of work precisely machining the parts to mount the SME to the Ares3. Plus I made up some custom modified rubber medium durometer isolation feet for supporting this 75 pound monster which do a 100 percent job of isolation of all feedback at any SPL I play at. I transferred the Audio Technica AT15ss from the Marantz to the Ares3 and after some work with set up, I put it into service. I didn’t expect there to be too much difference in what the performance was between the Marantz and Ares3, it was more about the fabulous sexy look for me.

When I put on some well played vinyl I was very familiar with, I was blown away. It was like I entered into some new world; hearing things I had not even known were in the recordings.... dynamic range, soundstage, detail, bass/mid/upper ranges all were just spectacular. I honestly never expected what I was hearing. So the bottom line is, I no longer listen to any digital recordings; they cannot come close to the performance of vinyl when using the right machinery for extracting the recordings.

Spend more money than you wanted to, you will not be sorry. Save money on buying some newer MC cartridges which can be very expensive. Try to find as new condition you can find in the Vintage Audio Technica AT15ss/AT20ss if you can find it, you will not easily surpass the performance of this Beryllium Cantiver/super Shibata diamond cartridge. Try to find a super platter on an older VPI, you’ll be very pleased. Skip the SME Series V, its not much different than the Series IV and save the money; but its arguably one of the finest tonearms made.

To put this into perspective; we are not comparing this to a $1200 Technics; this set up is a $9000 installation, which I have about $3200 into as I bought all the parts and put it together myself.  Trust me, a $9K TT will blow the doors off of any Digital recordings, you cannot compare or for that matter any $1500 TT.... and don't listen to anyone who says its all to finicky to put together, its just requiring a little patience to align the cartridge and measure things, its no big deal.  But it's worth the effort.

I agree with Williewonka1. I have a Music Hall Ikura. For the money it's a good table. It came with an Otofon Blue and I upgraded to the Black. I also have the Bellari tube phono stage and I like it as well. For budget tables Music Hall is good.
I didn’t mean to be a downer for the original poster. Just wanted to give some bigger perspective. Now that I have over $5k in audiophile reissues that I painstakingly put together, I am kinda stuck.

Each time I upgraded my DAC and CD player, I found myself having to upgrade my analogue front end. It has taken a $20k rig to top my $10k Esoteric SACD player.

The analogue rig consists of a VPI Classic 4 with a 12” 3D reference tonearm. An Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge to a Bob’s Devices Sky 20 SUT to the phono stage built into my Luxman L-590ax Mark II integrated. All wired with Transparent MusicLink Super cables. Stillpoints record weight and VPI perifery ring.

To clean those precious plastic discs, I picked up an Audio Desk Gläss ultrasonic record cleaner.

I didnt even factor the cost of record storage racks. And my last point, I had to move to a larger house to keep growing my collection.

Well mastered records sound awesome! Magical even.

Though I’ve had MQA Tidal cuts and CDs that also sound magical.

I believe digital or vinyl completely depends on the personality type, not so much which one necessarily sounds better.

I dont believe the personality manifests itself the same in everybody, but I believe each persons road to vinyl is chosen due to certain qualities in life they have experienced and desire. And it’s how and why they learn to desire these qualities that directs them to their particular format.

For instance, I’m an architect, for me having createable control with something authentic is important. So you can see that being able to pick the pieces (cart, table, phono pre, loading, alighnment, etc), and having a piece of vinyl with physical gooves you can see and feel (but don’t!) with your eyes and hands, and finally placing it on the table watching the platter spin, then dropping the needle and hearing the drop has a tangle quality that would appeal to me. It is "me" that controls the final sound, and it is me that reaps the benefits or not, thus there is a greater reward for all my diligence. It takes a certain level of craft in TT design that appeals to an architect as well.  There is also the uniqueness aspect for me, being that every LP is unique (ticks, pops, pressing, etc) that adds to its authenticity. 

Now compare that to my brother, a NASA rocket engineer who desires efficient, exact design with minimal error, what do you think he listens to?

BTW I’m sure there are many engineers who listen to vinyl, I’m saying given my brothers specific life experiences, anyone who would meet him would bet,he’d be a digital guy - and you’d be right.