Horn listeners - Do you have trouble listening to others?

Hi peeps,

I just had an interesting experience out of my home. I listened to 3 pairs of speakers:

McIntoshMagicoSome unknown theater speaker during Aquaman

And one characteristic followed me: strident / glare
No matter which system played I heard them get glaring at high volumes. Like distortion rose rapidly. I'm wondering if this is because I have become accustomed to high-quality AMT tweeters which are remarkably free of distortion or dynamic compression.

The reason I'm asking you horn peeps this is that dynamic range is one of the main selling points for horn speakers. Do you feel uncomfortable in the same ways?

If so, this is good evidence that we are hacking our brain when we listen. That we are learning to hear in certain ways based on the gear we listen to.

Best,
E
erik_squires
I've got a restored pair of 1975 ESS AMT1's and they're plenty easy to listen to. I think the AMT is best in dipole configuration. 
@kosst_amojan

I've never heard them I am afraid. I think it takes the right room for that. Slightly livelier wall behind the speakers, and lots of space.

Best,
E
@erik_squires 

It depends on the sound you want from them. If they're too bright all them models have pots to dial them back, and if that's not enough, just put a wash rag behind them. It'll soak up more sound. 
I did a good bit of work to mine. The first gen models were roughly finished and the only ones with 10" alnico drivers. I sanded the top halves down and sprayed them with a few coats of black semigloss that exactly matches the AMT housing. I also went completely through the crossovers. Out went the cheap Mexican caps and in went a pile of nice Solen PP caps. That really changed the game with those. 

Placement is a little tough, but once you get them sorted out, I think they bring the best of electrostats to the game with none of the silliness that comes with gigantic radiating surfaces. I use spiked plinths with mine and those make a significant difference in terms of stiffening up the weak mid-range. I like them. 
The pathway from my wife is down!
 worry about the pathway
to the wife is up