Speaker plinth material bottom ported Zu Omen Defs

Currently my Zu Omen Defs sit on hardwood floor ( bamboo) in my basement finished listening room. Even though we are very good at keeping sewer cleared, video checks every year, I’m always paranoid about water overflow. Our basement is bone dry. I would like to raise the zus off the floor about an inch or two with a plinth. IMO, mapleshade’s at $600 + each is pricey. I can make my own. My question is wood vs granite on bottom slot ported speakers like Zu. One would think that granite may be too reflective for bass vs wood. Just curious if anyone has any thoughts. For the trolls: yes we have flood insurance, sump pumps, etc. I’m not moving the gear back upstairs. Just asking about best material. 

Thanks
aberyclark
@rar1 ,
Unless something has changed, Zu always recommends leaving about 1/4 inch gap between the bottom of the speaker and the floor for their bottom ported speakers.
I see those plinths you are using have a waffle design, which may be allowing the speakers to resonate better. I would try adding the spikes to give them a little more clearance.
Bob
Hi Bob - 

Because I am using the smaller 4 inch square tiles as footers and centering them near the corners of the speaker (where you would screw in spikes), I am getting the clearance I need.  Ports are happy.    

It was when I was using the full 12 inch tile that I was in essence adding another floor to the face of the port, which obviously hurt the sound.

Unless I misread the OP's original post, he was thinking of using a granite or wood plinth.  I was just not sure how that would be any different than direct floor placement, unless of course spikes are used.

Thanks for the reply.

Rich 

Basically I’m adding a block of wood or something on the floor. Taking the speaker as is and lifting on top of the wood or whatever. I’m maintaining the same gap ( using the floor spikes) that I am currently. 
A wooden plinth will wick up moisture and could cause condensation on the bottom of your speakers.Another thing to investigate would be a paint on exterior waterproofing product for the speaker bottoms.
Why isn’t there moisture now? There’s a vapor barrier between concrete and wood floor? So if speaker is on spikes on top of the plinth, I don’t see the difference. I guess I could put small feet on the plinth