Spendor ST vs. B&W 803d vs. PMC PB1i ???

These speakers are all at roughly the same price point, but how do they compare in a high quality 2 channel audiophile system?

I have heard the 803d and PB1i with Bryston electronics (on two different occasions), and liked them both. I will soon compare them side by side at the same dealer.

There is scant information regarding the Spendor ST. Has anyone heard it? How does it compare to B&W or PMC?

Though Spendor has a venerable history, is it still in the same league as B&W or PMC?

Regards,

Mark
toronto416
PB1i and EB1i both have Vifa mid, the same one found in OB1, it is not PMC mid.
Yes, you are correct, my mistake. The PB1i and EB1i does have heavier duty low range drivers than the OB1i.
Not gone, but felled by the flu...

Many thanks for the exceedingly good discussion!

As I listen to mostly classical solo piano and chamber music, as well as to jazz (piano trios etc), midrange is especially important. It would appear that the PB1i does not have an ideal midrange driver. In the 803d, B&W certainly did not skimp in the heft and quality of the midrange driver. I will give them both another listen...

In the meantime I have auditioned the Verity Audio Finn, driven by a Luxman pure class A integrated amp, and this was a very musically satisfying system indeed.

The Verity Audio Rienzi may be a worthwhile consideration vs. the 803d. Unfortunately they are not available at the same dealer, so comparing them involves many other variables.

Regards,

Mark
Hi folks,

The PB1i indeed has the Vifa midrange that has been used by PMC for a while; it was also used in the previous range of speakers like the OB1 and EB1. I have had the OB1 for several years and did not experience any problem in the midrange even at high volumes. But if you like to play everything at thunderous levels, go for the mighty IB2i which uses a midrange of a different level (mighty price too). If you are in favour of transmission line type speakers at a price level comparable (some even cheaper) to the PMC PB1i, maybe the T+A Criterion TS200 (German manufacturer) or the French J-M Reynaud Orféo MK2 or Concorde (both having a ribbon tweeter) are something for you. I've heard some very good things about these TL-speakers. To end I would like to point out that I've experienced some quality issues with the finish of the PMC speaker cabinets. I replaced my previously mentioned OB1 by the PB1i. The first pair has been taken back because of a gap between one of the side panels and the front panel. The second pair has problems with paint (black ash finish) comming of between the two bass speakers. Where the paint let loose, wood paste is visible. So some repair has been done to the panel before painting it (we are talking about a 7000€ speaker!!!). An endless discussion about this has been going on between PMC and myself. I even didn't get any support from the local distributer; he found that I was making a lot of fuzz about nothing. So in the end I gave up and decided to do the repair myself. PMC claim to be perfect but they're not. They sound great; but .... So be aware.