Thiel Owners

Guys-

I just scored a sweet pair of CS 2.4SE loudspeakers. Anyone else currently or previously owned this model?
Owners of the CS 2.4 or CS 2.7 are free to chime in as well. Thiel are excellent w/ both tubed or solid-state gear!

Keep me posted & Happy Listening!
jafant
I've run bridged mono and vertical biamp and I've gotten the vague impression that I prefer bridged mono.  I think the high gain contributes to dynamics.  It seems livelier.  I'm looking forward to reading how people here feel after trying both.  
I am likewise eager to hear people's experiences. Please cite your amp particulars; this performance would be related to low-impedance behavior.
Hi Tom - I own Thiel 3.6 and have for around 17 years and CS 6 for about 4 years.  I switch them in and out every few months or so, right now using the CS 6.

The only amplification I have used are Mcintosh 501 mono’s and Classe CA200, both of which I am intimately familiar with since I have owned both for several years.

Both are interesting, the 501’s have an obvious control over both speakers.  The Classe’s also have plenty of control, great midrange textures and are more open than the darker sounding Mac’s.  The Mac's might have a small degree of refinement compared to the Classe, perhaps the addition current.  Neither amp ever gives the impression of being “taxed” no matter how hard they are driven.  And I have been know to drive them with some good classic rock, blues, and jazz.

My room is large, 18 X 40 and I get plenty of Satisfying SPL  with both amps.  I also switch them in and out every so often.
Pops - What is the power rating of the Macs? Do you use the 4 ohm tap?

The CA200 is rated at 200 into 8 ohms and 500 into 2 ohms, so it is current limited, which interests me. Have you used it in both stereo and bridged mono? 

What is your ceiling height on that great room?
Tom - the Macs are rated at 500 watts from each tap, I have tried all 3 and prefer the 4 ohm tap, interestingly, the 8 ohm tap sounds good too. Bass is a little smoother. The 2 ohm tap does have a little more texture in the midrange - I need to try it again.

I have not bridged the Classe as I only have one. Have always been interested to try it however and flirted many times with buying another one.

The ceiling is the most interesting part of my room. I used Rives Audio to build out my basement, hence the 18 X 42 foot size. We used the floor joists to build a giant diffuser by using blocking between joist bays, blocked at 15 to 40 degree angles in each bay. Over 380 blocks - I think my contractor wanted to hang it up when he read those plans! Then we treated and covered with cloth so the ceiling actually plays higher than 8 ft. There are 3 soffit areas, the first 2 are a combination of diffuser/absorption where the music takes place. The last soffit is geared more for absorption to deaden that end of the room.

I have a pool table back there. Great to lay stuff on and collect dust rather than actually play pool! LOL. The room really does sound great and was the best investment I have made in my system.