Which Class D Amplifier? PS Audio, Ghent, Nord, Merrill or other???

I’m looking for a new amp & want Class D.

I’ve seen various brands mentioned, such as PS Audio, Ghent, Nord, Merrel to name a few, but I’ve not heard any of them.

Which company is producing the best sounding Class D?
Which models should I be looking to demo?

Thanks

singintheblues
Unless you've actually had Monkey Plague, you really can't say much about it.

@wolf_garcia Whats YOUR contribution to this thread?

Current Class D has come a long way compared to a few years ago, who wouldn't want good amplification which is more efficient, takes up less space, runs cooler... and is possibly better value depending on which manufacturer you choose.
redrocket,

wolf's thread contribution is requesting you should afflict yourself with Monkey Plaque prior to discussing so that your comments are well informed and relevant.

Please afflict yourself and report back to us.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation,
    Tim
Class D has come a long way compared to a few years ago
No it hasn’t!

Mark Levinson had a good expensive dig and tried to cure it’s evils, with the $50kusd !!! No.53 monoblocks, which had massive series output filters to rid the switching frequency from it’s outputs, but they them selves bought a different set of problem to the table compared to all the filters others manufacturers use.
https://www.stereophile.com/content/mark-levinson-no53-reference-monoblock-power-amplifier-specifica...
https://www.stereophile.com/images/1212levin.side.jpg
Again even with these, it’s the mid/tops that had ? on them, but as per usual with Class-D the bass was great.
" They resolved a remarkable amount of genuine detail but were harmonically threadbare, sounded somewhat hard and mechanical on top, and had a hazy overlay just below that. The bass was fast, lean, taut, and well damped—rhythm’n’pacing were among the No.53’s strongest suits. But overall, the nature of the sound induced listening fatigue. I rarely listened for more than an hour at a time, which for me is unusual."

The only "real" advancement of Class-D has been the introduction of the new GaN transistor which Technics introduced in to their SE-R1 and Merrill Audio is now doing with their Element 118, these promise to lower dead time and have a greater far reduction of the switching frequency with the filter without affecting the audio band.

Cheers George
@georgehifi 

I definitely don’t think there’s a need to wait for GaN semiconductor technology to ’trickle down’. As I believe you’ve already discovered, good class D performs exceptionally well.
But it still does not compete with the best linear amps.

I am also in this camp.  As a builder of audio components my partner and I have discussed making Class-D amps or anything similar.  So far, we cannot come up with anything that is better.  We recently built a pure class A power amp about 30wpc and it was killer.  Cost me about $600 to build one.

I recently heard the NuFocre (not the newest model) but an upgraded (with 5 watt power supply) and it was supposed to be really good.  But in direct comparison in my system it lasted less than a minute.  Just did nothing special and was not very musical.  Just my two cents.

If I was going to by a Class-D amp I would buy one that was reliable, could be serviced is needed and spend the least amount of money on it.  But that's just me, I'm cheap!

Happy Listening.  

eHello George, I have heard the ML NO.53 a couple of times, and... I agree 200% with the reviewer, for all parameters he mentioned.... To say that I did not like it would be an understatement.

If all other class D amps sounded like No.53, I would have never bothered adopting this class of operation in my system.... Thankfully, No.53 is an outlyer. THere are of course other class D amps that I have not cared for, but No.53 takes the cake, particularly at its nose-bleeding price point.

But George, haven't you learned yet that one cannot perform valid induction steps from a couple of anomalous samples?

As I said so many times.... Get out of the house, lots of nice stuff out there... Besides, who knows, you might even fall in love with No.53 *Grins!*

G.