Akai 747 w/DBX question

Hopefully there are still some reel to reel folks out there. So I currently have the 747 w/out DBX, and I have an opportunity to pick up the DBX version from a local person who owns a rather hi end audio store here in town. My question is: Is the Dynamic range extension worth the extra coin over the non DBX version? I don't record music from CD's to tape, and the added DBX if it works well should do wonders for recording from vinyl. I have owned reel to reels all my life but never this piece. Just curious if its worth the effort, and if you think it will it be an improvement.  
barnettk
As Cleeds alluded to, when dbx type II is incorrectly set up (it is dependent on proper level settings for optimal results), you may experience pumping or breathing artifacts. The Dolby “A” noise reduction that Cleeds also referred to is a commercial product that also uses compression, but is usually not found on hifi tape recording gear. 
@sleepwalker65 

Right. I actually remember that Dolby made a stand alone component to provide the DNR. I had forgotten that you can buy both devices. I think I will look into the 224 because I do like the Dynamic range extension that is gives as a benefit. This way if I decide to go to another deck or the one I have breaks to where It can't be repaired due to lack of parts etc I can still have the feature. The last 747 I had stopped recording. The part needed according to the repair shop I took it to (still have my doubts that was the problem) was not able to find the part and neither was I with the part number he referenced.. anyway my point is that when they break beyond repair not much you can do but buy another machine. So I will see if I can find the 224. Hopefully there is one floating around out there.