Akai 747 w/DBX question

Hopefully there are still some reel to reel folks out there. So I currently have the 747 w/out DBX, and I have an opportunity to pick up the DBX version from a local person who owns a rather hi end audio store here in town. My question is: Is the Dynamic range extension worth the extra coin over the non DBX version? I don't record music from CD's to tape, and the added DBX if it works well should do wonders for recording from vinyl. I have owned reel to reels all my life but never this piece. Just curious if its worth the effort, and if you think it will it be an improvement.  
barnettk
@sleepwalker65 

Right. I actually remember that Dolby made a stand alone component to provide the DNR. I had forgotten that you can buy both devices. I think I will look into the 224 because I do like the Dynamic range extension that is gives as a benefit. This way if I decide to go to another deck or the one I have breaks to where It can't be repaired due to lack of parts etc I can still have the feature. The last 747 I had stopped recording. The part needed according to the repair shop I took it to (still have my doubts that was the problem) was not able to find the part and neither was I with the part number he referenced.. anyway my point is that when they break beyond repair not much you can do but buy another machine. So I will see if I can find the 224. Hopefully there is one floating around out there. 
Im also seeing a couple of the Type A systems but nothing that looks like it will work with my consumer electronics. The Type A encoder/decoder looks promising, but Im not sure I can find one. Both good looking options. Thanks again. I will let you know what I come up with. 
Sleepwalker.
Have you used the dbx224?
Looks like it should work with any r2r correct?
Certainly cheap enough to try one out.