Increase total Speaker Impedance -- Potential Solution

Hi All, 

Years ago I asked about using a resistor to increase the total impedance of a speaker -- I know that's a bad idea now because Impedance is NOT the same as resistance. I did get a pair of Paul Speltz's Zeroformers and they are great!

However, reading more about this, I thought another, more cost effective solution. Why not just buy a low cost, 4 ohm speaker, remove the diaphragm inside, and series-wire it? I'm reading some of the Zeroformer's technical documents and it sounds like it's rather similar to a speaker coil that doesn't produce any sound. Therefore, if I just series-wire a 4 ohm speaker to my existing 2 ohm speaker, wouldn't the total ohm seen by the amp be 6 ohm? 
angelgz2
Yes, sort of; clearly, a definite maybe.  :-)   What you need to do is buy two more speakers identical to what you currently have, and wire them in series.   That would do it.  

The reason one cannot put another 4 ohm driver in series with it is the speaker impedance is the net result of the cabinet, diaphragm, air movement, etc. -  all those nasty speaker variables defined by Thiele and Small back in the late 70's. 

You are on the right track with a transformer though.   Another option is simply buying a amplifier that can drive a 2 Ohm load sufficiently,   Some vacuum tube amps have 2 Ohm taps, which really solves the problem - assuming it provides the power you need. 
What exactly are you trying to do?

If you add anything in series you can alter the impedance, but you also lower the output.

The question really is WHY.

Best,
E
Thanks Bob (Gdnrbob).

To add to the previous comments, an autoformer such as the Zero inserted between an amp and a speaker will provide very different (and most likely much better) results than if a speaker driver or a speaker is inserted in series between them.

First, an autoformer will not consume a significant amount of the power that is being put out by the amp. While a 4 ohm load inserted in series with a 2 ohm load will consume two-thirds of that power. And a 2 ohm load inserted in series with a 2 ohm load will consume half of that power. (Note that I used the term “load,” rather than “speaker” or “speaker driver.” The impedance of a 2 ohm or 4 ohm speaker will certainly not be 2 or 4 ohms at many frequencies, and will not be purely resistive at most frequencies either. Which leads in to my next point).

Second, note Spatialking’s reference to using speakers that are identical to the ones you have. If they are not identical, most likely the frequency response provided by both speakers will be significantly altered by differences between how the impedance of each speaker varies as a function of frequency. That is because how the power provided by the amp at a given frequency divides up between the two speakers depends on their impedance at that frequency. If the two speakers do not have identical variations of their impedance over the frequency range the power provided by the amp will divide up differently at different frequencies.

Third, if your present speaker and a speaker that is added in series and is also producing sound are not equidistant from the listening position "comb filtering" effects could very well result, which would degrade the sound.

And on top of all that, of course, there would be the cost of adding a second pair of speakers.

The bottom line: Stay with the autoformers :-)

Regards,

-- Al

To further explore the amp-speaker interface, recently purchased an Audiopax Maggiore100 to pair with Zu Defintions. Noticed the output impedance is a bit high at 2.5 Ohms. The speakers are nominally 8 Ohm but dip to 6 ohms in the bass region. It's been said the speakers are an easy load and 100 watts to power a 101db efficient speaker should result in considerable headroom. Question is will the somewhat high output impedance of the amp still affect the bass negatively?