What do you mean you “heard” the turntable

I don’t get it. Maybe I just don’t have the biological tool set, but I read all the time how someone heard this turntable or that turntable and they comment on how much better or worse it sounded than some other TT, presumably their own or one they are very familiar with. 

Thing is, they are most likely hearing this set up on a completely different system in a completely different environment. So how can they claim it was the TT that made the difference?  The way “synergy“ is espoused around here how can anybody be confident at all considering how interdependent system interactions are. 

Can someone illuminate me?
last_lemming

The TT should provide optimal conditions for the records.

If this is not the case this can be only heard via records.

One can't test TT as an separate component without

records.

I share the same dismay when someone says they “heard” a given component at an audio show (or at most dealers, for that matter). 10 different people can “hear” 11 different individual components in the same system. 
I have a new Technics SL-1200G and vintage SL-MK1600 MK2.  With all things being equal except the tables, trust me, I can mostly certainly hear the difference.

Do you think the old Technics tonearm + old wiring and new Technics SL-1200G tonearm + new wiring are equal ?

I think the platter on the new Technics is much better damped, the DD motor is coreless compared to the old inferior motor, footers and the whole plinth are completely different etc. 

So which one do you like ? 
I was listening to my VPI Traveler w/Zu DL-103 MkII in my system, pulled that 'table and transferred my Garrard 301/Ortofon AS-309 into it's place using the same Zu cartridge. Everything else in the system was exactly the same. Immediately the idler drive 301 made its presence known. More slam, a much bigger impact, and a more precise speed were absolutely evident to begin with.

If you can't tell the difference between an idler drive 301 and a belt drive Traveler in an identical system perhaps there's something else going on.

I won't even begin to speculate on the reasons for some of the red herring distractions that have been offered up on this thread in opposition.
I agree with the general sentiment that most people are flippant in their rush to judgement of turntables, but not only turntables. Most statements of audio preference would not stand up to even pseudo-"scientific" scrutiny. I try to grin and bear it. In the end, we all have to please our private selves. Problems arise when we try for communal agreement. One common complaint that irks me is the contention that this or that turntable "hums".

On the other hand, I also agree with those who note that there is a set of sonic characteristics one could associate with the various types of drive systems. In my opinion, the best of each type of drive will at least strive to eradicate those boundaries.