Akai 747 w/DBX question

Hopefully there are still some reel to reel folks out there. So I currently have the 747 w/out DBX, and I have an opportunity to pick up the DBX version from a local person who owns a rather hi end audio store here in town. My question is: Is the Dynamic range extension worth the extra coin over the non DBX version? I don't record music from CD's to tape, and the added DBX if it works well should do wonders for recording from vinyl. I have owned reel to reels all my life but never this piece. Just curious if its worth the effort, and if you think it will it be an improvement.  
barnettk
@cleeds 

you are prob correct. I was following instructions from a YouTube video if I remember right. Let me dig this thing up and see if it even has an on/off switch. It was given to me so it does not have any instructions. 
Ok so this device is called "Han-D-Mag" and the instructions are on the actual device.. go figure. This thing looks like it was made in the 1970s at least.  The instruction say " plug in, Bring energized probe close to work, then withdraw slowly to a distance of 12’ then unplug form power source" so your instructions are more right then the way I was doing it. 
barnettk
... this device is called "Han-D-Mag"
That is the gold standard in head de-mags and is still being manufactured by R. B. Hannis.
 @cleeds 

Well well well what do ya know. That’s good! Ok I feel better now. I will perform the operation and see if it makes a difference. I am not really having s problem per se but if you guys recommend it needs to be done, and I have the right equipment to do it why not. 
Hey thanks for the info. I really love my reel to reel and I have had one since the 70s and I want to keep it in top working condition. I have it serviced once every two years so I Know the heads have not been de-maged at least since then, if even.