Akai 747 w/DBX question

Hopefully there are still some reel to reel folks out there. So I currently have the 747 w/out DBX, and I have an opportunity to pick up the DBX version from a local person who owns a rather hi end audio store here in town. My question is: Is the Dynamic range extension worth the extra coin over the non DBX version? I don't record music from CD's to tape, and the added DBX if it works well should do wonders for recording from vinyl. I have owned reel to reels all my life but never this piece. Just curious if its worth the effort, and if you think it will it be an improvement.  
barnettk
also I was careful to remove the reels when I did it. Now this was about a year or two ago.. maybe longer. I put that thing in a drawer and have not looked at it since. Scared the crap out of me haha. 
barnettk

I have a demagnetizer, and the way I did it was as follows: Start about 6 feet out and slowly work my way to the head (without touching it) then slowly work my way back away from the head.
That is not the correct way to use a head de-mag, according to the instructions I’ve seen that accompany them. The de-mag should be placed close to the head - not touching, as you state - and then energized. After rotating it closely around the head (or tape guide), the de-mag should then be gradually drawn away from the head, and then switched off.
@cleeds 

you are prob correct. I was following instructions from a YouTube video if I remember right. Let me dig this thing up and see if it even has an on/off switch. It was given to me so it does not have any instructions. 
Ok so this device is called "Han-D-Mag" and the instructions are on the actual device.. go figure. This thing looks like it was made in the 1970s at least.  The instruction say " plug in, Bring energized probe close to work, then withdraw slowly to a distance of 12’ then unplug form power source" so your instructions are more right then the way I was doing it. 
barnettk
... this device is called "Han-D-Mag"
That is the gold standard in head de-mags and is still being manufactured by R. B. Hannis.