Why Power Cables Affect Sound

I just bought a new CD player and was underwhelmed with it compared to my cheaper, lower quality CD player. That’s when it hit me that my cheaper CD player is using an upgraded power cable. When I put an upgraded power cable on my new CD player, the sound was instantly transformed: the treble was tamed, the music was more dynamic and lifelike, and overall more musical. 

This got me thinking as to how in the world a power cable can affect sound. I want to hear all of your ideas. Here’s one of my ideas:

I have heard from many sources that a good power cable is made of multiple gauge conductors from large gauge to small gauge. The electrons in a power cable are like a train with each electron acting as a train car. When a treble note is played, for example, the small gauge wires can react quickly because that “train” has much less mass than a large gauge conductor. If you only had one large gauge conductor, you would need to accelerate a very large train for a small, quick treble note, and this leads to poor dynamics. A similar analogy might be water in a pipe. A small pipe can react much quicker to higher frequencies than a large pipe due to the decreased mass/momentum of the water in the pipe. 

That’s one of my ideas. Now I want to hear your thoughts and have a general discussion of why power cables matter. 

If you don’t think power cables matter at all, please refrain from derailing the conversation with antagonism. There a time and place for that but not in this thread please. 
128x128mkgus
@elizabeth

the treble has more clarity. easier to understand female vocals, hear cymbals clearly, massed violins sound as a group of separate instruments, not just some clump of noise

So less distortion and lower noise?

@jea48

Are you unaware that overtones are harmonics?

As for interconnects, as long as they are well enough shielded, then yes (at least in regards to audible changes). 

Do you think recording studios who spend >$10,000 on room treatment also are buying “audiophile” XLR cables?
mzkmxcv337 posts01-13-2019 10:42am

@elizabeth

the treble has more clarity. easier to understand female vocals, hear cymbals clearly, massed violins sound as a group of separate instruments, not just some clump of noise

@jea48

Are you unaware that overtones are harmonics?

As for interconnects, as long as they are well enough shielded, then yes (at least in regards to audible changes).

@mzkmxcv

Harmonics? Yeah, I am aware of Harmonics. Can they pass through the windings of a power transformer of a piece of audio equipment? Can they be radiated? How far?

Any proof? Actual test equipment measurements performed by credible 3rd party testing lab. Please produce a credible Link to a white paper showing ICs make a difference, why and how. Not theory, actual measurements.

Thank you @jea48 for your post with comments from Ralph, Nelson, and OLC.

I had a couple of questions about Ralph’s post yesterday but did not see an answer and then the thread seemed to spiral down a rabbit hole. Ralph’s response from your post covers my questions and Nelson’s comments and linked information address the amplifier end of things. BTW, OLC is posting again at Audio Asylum since he apparently no longer has conflicts of interest between his day job and posting on a public forum.

My questions from yesterday;

1. What characteristics of a power cord would affect voltage (i.e., cause a voltage drop) - is that primarily a function of resistance and wire gauge, or something else, and
2. What characteristics of a power cord would affect bandwidth?

Based on Ralph’s comments, it seems both the voltage drop and bandwidth issues are affected by the amount of current available to the power supply. This implies, bigger (heavier gauge) wire is better for PCs, and particularly when supplying power to large amplifiers, no? Both issues seem to be related to wire gauge size.

Shielding is another issue that comes up, with some believing PCs sound better when unshielded, which seems to contrast with the findings of OLC.

The connector thing makes sense that they should be substantial enough not to heat up upon use.

Therefore, it seems we are back to wire gauge, geometry, shielding, and connectors as being the factors affecting PC performance (notice I left out marketing, pixie dust, magic beads, and directionality (sorry Geoff)). Common sense would imply the PC should be at least as large as the household wire feeding the circuit (mine is 10 awg for 20A circuits and my DIY cords that feed two large mono amps are 7 awg). The conductors are twisted to reduce inductance, the cords are shielded to resist interference, and the connectors are robust and use actual copper for the connection. Don’t forget the quality of the wall outlets everything is plugged into. Somebody mentioned a direct connection rather than using an IEC and I agree. I had a direct connection on an amp Steve McCormack upgraded for me, but later I added an IEC so I could try different PCs.

The possibility of making DIY PCs from NM Cable (i.e., Romex) is interesting, particularly as Ralph believes that cable works well for power distribution. I looked into why Romex is not approved for use outside of the wall and the primary reason the code doesn’t allow it is that the covering is not considered robust enough to resist damage that might affect the wires - but it is suitable for the set it and forget it in-wall use. Another concern is that the large solid core wire in Romex may not be as resistant to multiple bending events. There is also some difference of opinion as to whether Romex can be used inside of conduit, with some seeming to think this is ok while others caution there could be a heat issue (inside of the conduit) that might affect the wire. Aside from those safety considerations, it might be fun to make up a couple of 10 awg Romex PCs to try on my big power amps - just to hear how they sound (but of course I would unplug them from the wall when not in use).
See. again the need for proof is on the naysayers part. not the folks who can hear a difference. No one ’needs’ to prove anything. If you can’t hear it. NOT MY PROBLEM. I have no need to help you discover anything. It is like a big club. Membership requirement number one: Be able to hear differences in cables.So here is this guy(s) wanting to sneak in the back door? or claiming the club is "illegal" (?Because you wont let him in??) No way.. Ignore the heckler standing outside in the cold! eventually he will either: wear himself out fighting with shadows.. or discover he too CAN hear a difference. (amazing how many members used to be hecklers... )
@jea48

I don’t have a subscription to access AES papers, so nothing 100% credible, but here are some measurements of RCA cables. Of course it’s not Nordost Odin 2 or anything that ridicoulous. As for the stereo crosstalk, keep in mind even the worse offender is still well below the signal to be considered inaudible, and the 3” generic cable performed similarly/better than the 3” “expensive” silver one. 

EDIT: Wonderful, just notified some of my comments were removed, even though they break none of the guidelines. Love the open discussion.