Try before you buy?

So, I've been a part of the audiophile community for a long, long time now. A major part of the hobby, IMHO, has been gear rolling: trying new stuff, deciding if you like it, and then moving on to the next thing. Cable rolling is probably second only to tube rolling.
When I was at MIT all those years ago, I decided the industry really needed a true lending library. So, I've been building one and have had huge support from cable companies like MIT and Cardas. It's good for them to let people try their cables out to see how much they like them, if at all. Consumers who really fall in love with a pair of cables will eventually buy, either on the used market here on AudiogoN, or on the new market through authorized resellers.
Anyway, I wondered how many of you would use such a library, and, if so, how you think it might change the way you buy audio gear (if at all). I'd love your feedback.
gavn8r
"The Cable Company" already has a large lending library of various cables. You might take a look at their process, and talk to them. perhaps ’incognito’ to see how they do it. I know they do charge for the use, and allow a full credit if the borrower buys something, anything actually in the future.
Any sort of lending would need full credit card functionality to have a way of keeping (some) folks honest. Plus the problem you send them a ’real’ cable, they send back a fake.. Some one would have to be watching all that. Plus who is paying for the shipping. insurance? It would be a lot of work, and how would you put up with it? if not selling cables?
Good idea by Elizabeth to inquire at CC ’incognito’. Also read all the threads in the Archives and on Google.

The Cable Co. is not cheap, but they run a first class operation. The have a database of components and cables and the synergy between them. They'll usually suggest and lend out 2 or 3 different sets of cables after a discussion by phone. I've used them several times without a hitch.

The potential buyer pays all shipping charges and taxes, and this is where it starts to get expensive. After you have made some purchases, you begin to get discounts based on a percentage of these purchases.

I would like to see some competition in the cable lending market. For me it's been a merry go round to find the right cables.
I think I finally may be done.

I know The Cable Company very well, as they were a dealer of ours when I was at MIT (they probably still are). They’re a great company run by a great guy. But because they require customers to buy first, then offer them trade-in on future purchases, I just can’t call what they do a “lending library,”

The library I’m building requires users to pay for shipping, and they have the option to purchase accidental damage protection, but other than that, it’s completely free.

Is is anyone interested in being a beta user? I have about $100K worth of cables available right now.
Gavn8r- you are incorrect.  The Cable Company charges a 5% deposit to borrow current production cables that have been burned in.  The borrow period is 2 weeks.  They do NOT require customers to buy first and later do trade ins, which would be a BAD idea.  BTW- supposedly they have $3M in cables in their library.