How important is it for you to attain a holographic image?

I’m wondering how many A’goners consider a holographic image a must for them to enjoy their systems?  Also, how many achieve this effect on a majority of recordings?
Is good soundstaging enough, or must a three dimensional image be attained in all cases.  Indeed, is it possible to always achieve it?

128x128rvpiano
orpheus10  ...

I couldn't agree with you more. The whole point of this hobby as far as I'm concerned is to get us closer to the actual event as played by the musicians. 

Frank
Well, I am again, late to a thread that has intense meaning to me. I am actually not overstating this, since the idea of getting musicians in my room was a long process, and not one that was continuous, even when complete. I mean to say that recordings, as someone stated earlier in this thread, don't always have the information/miking that needs to be for decent sound reproduction... at least in the way of soundstaging. It's not that I don't enjoy many recordings in spite of their flaws, but am overcome at times when a recording (especially piano) gets it right. 
 Having said this, there are a couple of 'experiments' that have a place in my system from time to time. Off and on, I will use a completely rebuilt Carver C-9 (yes, I can see you in the back, rolling you're eyes). No, it isn't for every recording, I couldn't agree more. Probably the logic comes into line with my ocaissional need to use a good tone control. Way out of audiophilia, and probably some of you are hissing right now ;) I will say this though. Many times, a wonderful soundstage can be had, given the right speaker placement, and room treatment. but that seems to have been more popular back in my bachelor days. 
I don't think that there is any question that most of us have some kind of physical limitations as to where we can place loudspeakers within our chosen room.  Given that starting point, the challenge then becomes to find the combination of loudspeakers, electronics, wires, etc. that give us the hologram, tone, dynamics, etc. that really satisfy what we are looking for. 

With different experiences, different rooms and different ideas of what sound "right", there is probably not a one size fits all solution...but there might be a reasonable starting point...and least that is what this interesting thread is postulating...  https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/3038828-how-choose-loudspeaker-what-science-shows.html

One final thought...I've pretty much had good sounding systems my whole life...my kids grew up with them.  My older son plays acoustic, electric and bass guitar and even when I've offered to give him systems, he declines.  Why, he tells me that he has never heard home audio that remotely conveys the sound that he hears...produces...strives for as a musician....so he'd rather just play through his equipment as it is much more satsifying than listening to a recording.

This is from another thread that's intrinsically related to this thread;

I did a little research and found a site that tells you how to build acoustic panels:

http://acousticsfreq.com/how-to-build-your-own-acoustic-panels/

Apparently, fiberglass board insulation at least two inches thick is needed. The sample construction uses 2″ Roxul RHT 80 at $0.78 per square foot.

As far as decorative fabric, anything that is acoustically transparent, where the sound can reach the fiberglass. The page suggests putting the fabric up to your mouth and blowing through it to see if air freely flows through it — so I guess the lighter the better.
auxinput1,538 posts.
11-07-2017

While there are some who have no idea how important this thread is, I hope those who realize the importance of this thread will utilize the information to improve their rooms, and the pleasure of listening to music after that improvement.
Things are never what they seem. Let’s take SONEX for example, the common grey nicely articulated acoustic foam panels oft found covering the walls of recording studios and frequently used by audiophiles. Newsflash! The problem with SONEX is that even though it appears to be “acoustically transparent” it hurts the sound. A panel cannot be “acoustically transparent” and still be able to absorb or otherwise change the acoustic waves striking it. In the case of SONEX even a panel or two diminishes sound quality, making the sound “phasey” and unnatural sounding.