Try before you buy?

So, I've been a part of the audiophile community for a long, long time now. A major part of the hobby, IMHO, has been gear rolling: trying new stuff, deciding if you like it, and then moving on to the next thing. Cable rolling is probably second only to tube rolling.
When I was at MIT all those years ago, I decided the industry really needed a true lending library. So, I've been building one and have had huge support from cable companies like MIT and Cardas. It's good for them to let people try their cables out to see how much they like them, if at all. Consumers who really fall in love with a pair of cables will eventually buy, either on the used market here on AudiogoN, or on the new market through authorized resellers.
Anyway, I wondered how many of you would use such a library, and, if so, how you think it might change the way you buy audio gear (if at all). I'd love your feedback.
gavn8r
Gavn8r- you are incorrect.  The Cable Company charges a 5% deposit to borrow current production cables that have been burned in.  The borrow period is 2 weeks.  They do NOT require customers to buy first and later do trade ins, which would be a BAD idea.  BTW- supposedly they have $3M in cables in their library.
Thanks for that clarification, @jwpstayman. You're right, I just looked at the terms. 5% non-refundable deposit, though the deposit does get applied to any purchase you make. Not bad. Still, free would be better, especially if you are looking at some expensive cables.
Free is always better but imagine how many "tire kickers" would use that free trial offer just to hear them, with no intention of buying. That, and people like that tend to not treat the gear kindly and end up abusing and/or damaging it. 

I think they arrived at their present formula to weed out the bottom feeders and entertain the seriously inclined. I also think (if memory serves me correctly) that they used to have a more generous policy many years ago and arrive at their present system for reasons mentioned.

All the best,
Nonoise
Good point by nonoise. What would be your protection? Maybe require a credit card on file?
You want free? Join a local audio club and borrow from your friends. It really works. As a side benefit you get guys to listen over your shoulder and tell you that your opinion is wrong ;-) 
Cheers,
Spencer