The invention of measurements and perception

This is going to be pretty airy-fairy. Sorry.

Let’s talk about how measurements get invented, and how this limits us.

One of the great works of engineering, science, and data is finding signals in the noise. What matters? Why? How much?

My background is in computer science, and a little in electrical engineering. So the question of what to measure to make systems (audio and computer) "better" is always on my mind.

What’s often missing in measurements is "pleasure" or "satisfaction."

I believe in math. I believe in statistics, but I also understand the limitations. That is, we can measure an attribute, like "interrupts per second" or "inflamatory markers" or Total Harmonic Distortion plus noise (THD+N)

However, measuring them, and understanding outcome and desirability are VERY different. Those companies who can do this excel at creating business value. For instance, like it or not, Bose and Harman excel (in their own ways) at finding this out. What some one will pay for, vs. how low a distortion figure is measured is VERY different.

What is my point?

Specs are good, I like specs, I like measurements, and they keep makers from cheating (more or less) but there must be a link between measurements and listener preferences before we can attribute desirability, listener preference, or economic viability.

What is that link? That link is you. That link is you listening in a chair, free of ideas like price, reviews or buzz. That link is you listening for no one but yourself and buying what you want to listen to the most.

E
erik_squires
’Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
      Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
      And the mome raths outgrabe.

“Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
      The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
      The frumious Bandersnatch!”

Be it sight, sound, smell or touch
There’s something inside that we need so much
The sight of a touch Or the scent of a sound
Or the strength of an oak With roots deep in the ground
The wonder of flowers to be covered And then to burst up
Through tarmac To the sun again Or to fly to the sun
Without burning a wing To lie in a meadow And hear the grass sing
To have all these things In our memories hoard
And to use them
To help us To find.....God

@geoffkait if you're still searching for that lost chord, I'm sure khosst can measure exactly which one it is
I’m not searching. But I imagine you probably are. “Good luck to you.” The same thing Dylan sings on the trailing wax of every record.
@stevecham

I don’t see evidence that the ephemeral things of consciousness are well bound by the laws of physics. I don’t think the science has evolved that far yet. It’s speculative, at best, and would require a very particular interpretation of physics that the field is trying hard to avoid. Clearly we’re able to perceive things that don’t reflect physical phenomenon. There are no physical parallels that give rise to perceptions of God or love or hate, or lust. Those are pure inventions of perception that are not analogous to the phenomenon that give rise to them. Perception, buy nature, doesn’t reflect underlying physical phenomenon. I’m not saying the phenomenon of consciousness and perception cannot be quantified. We haven’t developed the tools, methods, or metrics by which to do it yet. But I’ve got Cleeds up there swearing up and down he CAN do such things, which I think you and I both agree is impossible at this point.

This quantification of consciousness is a real problem when it comes to really understanding what all kinds of measurements mean well beyond the characteristics of an amplifier. It seems to me that if we we’re able to quantify perception and consciousness, then the measurements we do have might have different meaning, and we may find that other kinds of measurements are necessary. For whatever reason, we try very, very hard to analyze and quantify the physical world to the extreme and deliberately avoid trying to analyze and quantify the experience of being. It makes for an incomplete equation. It’s the difference between knowing what a thing is, and what a thing means. For lack of a better analogy, knowing the thing is a very single ended proposition, whereas knowing what the thing means requires a complimentary understanding, and that complimentary factor is better understanding consciousness and perception.