Try before you buy?

So, I've been a part of the audiophile community for a long, long time now. A major part of the hobby, IMHO, has been gear rolling: trying new stuff, deciding if you like it, and then moving on to the next thing. Cable rolling is probably second only to tube rolling.
When I was at MIT all those years ago, I decided the industry really needed a true lending library. So, I've been building one and have had huge support from cable companies like MIT and Cardas. It's good for them to let people try their cables out to see how much they like them, if at all. Consumers who really fall in love with a pair of cables will eventually buy, either on the used market here on AudiogoN, or on the new market through authorized resellers.
Anyway, I wondered how many of you would use such a library, and, if so, how you think it might change the way you buy audio gear (if at all). I'd love your feedback.
gavn8r
I use the Cable Company for this very reason, to ensure that I make informed decisions when it comes to the sound I'm looking for. To ratchet it up a notch, they also like to know what equipment you have in order to recommend proper interconnects, etc.to get the sound you're looking for. My distinct advantage with them is that I'm within driving distance so shipping costs are not something I have to think about. IMHO, since they offer these services, I'd rather spend my money with them. Maybe I could go used but why, the internet selling place is a weird place & your chances are 50/50 on anything but new. Just to prove my point, the same cables I priced on Audiogon, the person selling a used pair was asking full retail price & I got a new pair (burnt in also) for 30% less. Now does one get lucky all the time like that? No, just one mans story. When my priorities change back to audio, then I'll go to them again because of the conveniences listed above. If I might give you any advice is that you should also read some of the forums on here & think about carrying some of the "other" cables some are talking about to offer some different alternatives. I wrote a review on some cables that I wasn't particularly impressed with but for the new audiophile, I recommended they hear them so they realize what a difference good cabling makes.

Nice to see Robert and the gang getting good press here, they deserve it!

Good luck with your venture Gavn8r!

Michael Green

@vista1868 - Good points, all.
@michaelgreenaudio - Yep, Robert is the man. And thanks!
@vista1868 - I would love to carry all sorts of cables from other manufacturers large and small. If you have any contacts that I could reach out to, please let me know. I'd love that.