New Rega Planer 8 (P8) Turntable - Apheta 2 Cartridge Combo - Thoughts

Any Thought's on the "New" Rega Planer 8 (P8) Turntable - Apheta 2 Cartridge Combo

Any Rega owners / dealers / folks familiar with the table and/or brand have any thoughts / advise about this table / brand / combo? 

I am trying vinyl again... Tried it before without much luck. Table / cart / phono set up was too finicky for me and I wasn't able to get decent sound. I sold it all and am now giving it another try.

I also chose a Sutherland Duo phonostage to match with it.

Would love thoughts, advise, ideas or feedback. I have never owned a Rega product before. Going to set it up tonight but still waiting for my phonostage to be mailed to me. Would love some feedback. 

Thanks  

System info

Rega P8 Turntable / Apheta 2 Cart
Sutherland Duo Phonostage
Simaudio Moon Evolution P-8 Linestage
Pass Labs X250.8 Amp
Magico S5 Speakers (MK II's on order)

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xfsmithjack
Lol.. Great point and I agree but the reason is mainly because its the only thing in audio where what I read and hear does not equal my experience.

There is no way my digital is that good. Trust me - it is outstanding but it can’t be that much better because thousands and or maybe millions of people love it and what I have experienced can’t be what others love so much. Just can’t be.

I must be missing something somewhere.. That is why I bought a Rega thinking even if it is not the greatest it is plug and play so I can’t screw up and get a baseline understanding of what it is. I can say this that I have tried three different analogue set up’s and the Rega was the best but still not really that good? Ok I guess but I don’t understand??

Your right I should and may just stick with digital but honestly I really want to enjoy what Fremer and the other millions get to enjoy but for whatever reason is has alluded me?

Here are my 3 tries at analogue. Now the first set up was a real esoteric set up and the cart’s output impedance was so low the thought was that I needed to rewire my arm to VPI junction box so sold it and didn’t know how or want to do that and not even sure that was the problem and the 2nd go round I had 2 bad back to back carts (wish I tried a 3rd one but dumped it) the third go round just wasn’t really good. It was by the far the best but could not even begin to compete with my digital. Maybe the 4th will be a charm or maybe I will just buy a Luxman C-900u and M-900u combo and stick with digital?

1st try
VPI Prime Turntable
Haniwa Audio HCTR01 Cartridge
HEQA01 Phono Stage Equalizer preamp
Cardas Clear RCA Interconnects
PS Audio P10 Conditioner
HiDiamond P3 AC Cable

2nd try
VPI Aries 3D Limited Edition (#47 of 100) Turntable
Denon DL-301 Cartridge
Mark Levinson No.326s w/Phono Stage
Cardas Clear RCA Interconnects
PS Audio P10 Conditioner
HiDiamond P3 AC Cable

3rd try
Rega Planer 8 Turntable
Rega Apheta 2 Cartridge
Sutherland Engineering Duo - mono block Phono Stage
AudioQuest Fire RCA Interconnects
AudioQuest Niagara 1000 Conditioner
AudioQuest Tornado AC Cable

https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/5160#&gid=1&pid=89

fsmithjack
That is why I bought a Rega thinking even if it is not the greatest it is plug and play so I can’t screw up and get a baseline understanding of what it is.

Vinyl is not plug and play especially at the higher end - resolving systems. Also a lower perceived TT/Tonearm/Cart will out perform a higher perceived one that is not set up well.

Vinyl generates its signal through vibrations and resonances. Likewise vibrations and resonances in the room will affect the signal. It's a set up Game that takes knowledge of ones room and experience at the high end.

The Room plays a major factor. Hear me out as I asked you a question last time and you did not answer me. At least I did not see the reply back if you did. I can't explain the anomaly with the one LP. 

In looking at your Virtual system I notice the sloped ceilings that indicate your system is on a raised floor upstairs. Two levels up ? Suspended wood beams ?

In my personal experience All turntable rigs on suspended floors have challenges and constraints. The higher resolving gear more challenging. Everyone I know that has Vinyl upstairs has gone to great lengths to isolate the table better. If you are intent on keeping it upstairs and making it better - look at the shelf isolation.  

Now as you have said you sold everything, so  I would stick to digital. What good is a frustrating hobby?  If you are stubborn and want to make it right - hang a shelf on a load bearing wall in that room to start. Place your turntable on it. Try this with a very modest rig to see if works.
Good Luck

I've been following this thread with interest because I never got that vinyl rush either.  I started with a VPI as well.  September I upgraded to a Rega RP-10 with Apheta 2.  It was a solid performer, interesting but lackluster.  At 120 plays things changed rapidly.  Now at 266 plays it's a real contender.  But to back up a bit, two weeks ago I received the Herron phono stage.  It's a perfect fit with the Rega combo.  After years of jumping through hoops, this is finally the vinyl magic we crave.  It works with the good, the bad and the ugly.  
Certainly the Rega is as close to plug and play as it gets.  It did take me 8 tries to align the Apheta 2.  It had to be *just so* or the presentation was boring, boring, boring with fits of sibilance or high amplitude breakup.  It was a big help not worrying about azimuth and VTA during that ordeal and well worth the time.  Having said that, a digital system that checked all the boxes and drew me into the music for more than 20 minutes might kill the ongoing commitment that analog absolutely requires.  Analog is as much a hobby as it is a means to an end.  May you find your motivation. 

The Technics 1200G is a heck of a table.  I can say after owning almost a year, it just keeps getting better and switching cartridges is easy.  It a well thought out design and I have no desire to upgrade anymore.
Cartridge break-in is very real, but real-er for some brands & models than others. Ortofon Cadenza Bronze is an example that sounds great out of the box, right from hour #1 (and pairs great with the hybrid JFET/tube stages). Whereas Koetsu stones can take some mileage to get where they’re going (and tends to want an MC Step-Up Transformer to shine). You need at least 24 - 40 hours of playtime to see what’s up. Then there’s the issue of running in the phono stage itself. Ugh I hate components with long run-in times. I'm so impatient there, and what with the added difficulty of sending a reverse-RIAA signal via DAC/CD to the phono...

Definitely agree with the discussion on flooring and isolation. If I didn’t have a great rack and somewhat rigid flooring, my main table would be a SOTA (or SME, etc) for its built-in suspension system. I had a Clearaudio Innovation that struggled on an inadequate (not even that cheap) rack - the Rega would be just as bad if not worse in that context.