What are the best speakers you have ever owned and why?

I just recently recieved my long awaited Shahinian Diapason 2’s from Vasken And they are absolutely spectacular! This got me thinking about my long journey to get here. Bless my wife for putting up with the many many many speakers that have passed through. The lifelong saga began with Magneoan MG 1’s back in college which were replaced by Dahlquist DQ 10’s. Then we traveled down a long road of speakers and systems. Magnepan Tympanis, Misson 770, Randall Rsch DQ10’s, Quad ESL single and stacked, Acoustat II, rogers LS3/5A’s, Linn Isobarik’s (2 pairs) B&W 801 Matrix, Hales Signature, Martin Logan Monolith2, Apogee Scintilla (1 ohm) Apogee Full Range, Theil SC 5A, Egglestonworks Andra, B&W Nautilius 801,Quad 63 and some I’m sure I forgot! Each speaker had its virtues and flaws but oh what a fun and a times frustrating trek! I think I have finally found my speaker to take me to retirement they do everything that I value wonderfully . They are detailed without sounding so, very dynamic, they have great low end reach, power and detail, are open sounding like a planner, their tonality and timbre seem spot on and they sound wonderful on any kind of music. Tell me about your journey!
hamr
I recently had a pair of Infinity Kappa 8.1’s. The soundstage was enormous, So, (depending on the recording quality) you could not only place an instrument left to right but, forward to backward. I have very nice speakers now.  But, 3ft high will never beat 4 1/2 ft high speakers.

my dream speakers are the Infinity IRS V’s.  I’ve heard them twice.  I know they’re “vintage” but, (in my small experience) I’ve never heard anything that beats them.
A very large DIY mono that I built in 1958, using JBL drivers. (two 15" for the bass.)  Sand-filled  corner enclosure. (Thiele-Small hadn't come along as yet, so everything was based on calculated guesswork.)
Drove the neighbors crazy.
Couldn't move it, so had to break kit down and sell the drivers. 
What an interesting post, thanks OP.

The journey for me:

Late 60s started with a home made gigantic box, looked great, probably sounded awful. Then Wharfedale Dovedale, AR MST, AR 3a Improved, Wharfedale E90 (A serious mistake, looked awesome, sounded dreadful!). Up to the 80s now and life gets good; Yamaha NS1000M, sounded beautiful with looks to match. Longest lastings speakers ever, sold them 5 years ago for effectively more than I paid for them. Up to the 2000s now; Quad ESL 63, B&W N801, still have these, about to be replaced with B&W N802D speakers.

Then in 2017 I decided to get back into vinyl and purchased a pair of completely refurbished Gale GS401A speakers (www.vintagegale.com) for a second system. Extremely happy with this system. Here are the full details on this system:

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/second-system-that-sounds-and-looks-spectacular-i-am-there

Having fun with HiFi all over again.

Dream speakers for me; Magico Q7 or fully refurbished Apogee’s, the big ones, or The Apogee as it is called.

I, too, am relatively new to HiFi, have owned KLH, infinity, MarkAudio-SOTA but recently got a pair of Rethm Maargas.  WOW!  I guess maybe the horn sound is what I have always been after.  And with the powered bass it sounds great.
I guess my favorite will probably be the Rethm Saadhana I am saving up for :)
I need to add this. The VMPS speakers since the advent of the ribbon mids, have captured my heart and ears. Their clarity, transparency, good bass, and very good dynamics make for a moving session. The Vapor build quality of the cabinets is so advanced and such a massive undertaking, you’ve got to appreciate the amount of work Ryan Scott puts into these babies. My particular pair doesn’t have as complete a finish on it as most do, but I’m so blessed to have them to listen to. I don’t think I could have ever owned a Joule Black at the list price of them at this point. The VMPS RM40 BCSE is maybe one of the greatest sound per dollar spent speakers anywhere. The Vapor Joule Black that I now own needs to have NO qualifiers as to its sound. In a normal sized room, they are all anyone could want in a speaker and more.  Thanks Ryan, and thanks Brian.

Bob