Linear tracking turntables, whatever happened?

Curious as to the demise and downfall of the seemingly short lived linear tracking TT.
Just from a geometry point of view I would have thought a linear arm should be superior to one with a fixed pivot that sweeps through an arc.
Obviously there is much more to it than that, sort of the reason for this thread.
I am genuinely interested in trying one out for myself as well.
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xuberwaltz
Hello Gunther, well I´m not exactly in the barrel but as an retired gardener that is almost like ... Jack in the Green: https://youtu.be/yZTJH1qZm_Y

We will be delighted to invite you to join our little conversation ... in nearest pub : )
Thanks for the plug, Lew and Raul. Regarding Trans-Fi, I haven't kept up with Vic's latest innovations, but am all in on its excellent performance independent of price.  As a DIYer, I eventually migrated from the stock alum sled/cradle with knife bearings, to a customized assembly with point bearings and a lightened sled with a thin, reinforced carbon fiber shell around a foam core. The goal was to decrease horizontal mass, which in the stock setup is low relative to most linear tonearms but high relative to a pivot arm. To take things further, a friend with a medical instruments business fabricated a wand-less vertical bearing for the sled that accepts a standard detachable headshell.  This idea is versatile in terms accommodating interchangeable cartridges, but lightweight for low-compliance cartridges.  My overall experience is that Trans-Fi is at the intersection of commercial and DIY-- a fine and economical solution for anyone curious about linear tonearms.            
@dgarretson is so humble, it cracks me up. You da best, Dave. Cheers,
Spencer 
Dave made a base for my Terminator when I had it I since have moved on. Thanks again Dave