New Rega Planer 8 (P8) Turntable - Apheta 2 Cartridge Combo - Thoughts

Any Thought's on the "New" Rega Planer 8 (P8) Turntable - Apheta 2 Cartridge Combo

Any Rega owners / dealers / folks familiar with the table and/or brand have any thoughts / advise about this table / brand / combo? 

I am trying vinyl again... Tried it before without much luck. Table / cart / phono set up was too finicky for me and I wasn't able to get decent sound. I sold it all and am now giving it another try.

I also chose a Sutherland Duo phonostage to match with it.

Would love thoughts, advise, ideas or feedback. I have never owned a Rega product before. Going to set it up tonight but still waiting for my phonostage to be mailed to me. Would love some feedback. 

Thanks  

System info

Rega P8 Turntable / Apheta 2 Cart
Sutherland Duo Phonostage
Simaudio Moon Evolution P-8 Linestage
Pass Labs X250.8 Amp
Magico S5 Speakers (MK II's on order)

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xfsmithjack
@fsmithjack so thinking some more about your situation I think you can go a couple (or three ways)

Path I -- go all out for an "analog" as possible representation of state of the art LP playback. This would match the Verdier with the Schick and add a cartridge like a Miyajima, a Miyabi or a Koestsu -- something on that yang side of the spectrum -- think this sort of sound https://positive-feedback.com/reviews/hardware-reviews/the-murasakino-musique-analogue-sumile-mc-pho.... This path would maximize the contrast from digital and give you an alternative view into new types of material, especially classic 50s/60s jazz and classical

Path II -- try to make your analog rig "beat" your digital. This would match the Verdier with the AMG arm (or an SME, a Kuzma Four point or that sort of thing) and then with the Winfield or a Lyra or other SotA MC cart - think this sort of sound http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/kuzma-stabi-r-turntable/. This path would bring out the best in reissues or current material and allow you to tease out weaknesses in your digital rig -- but you may find yourself tending to draw negative comparisons with the digital and feel dissatisfied

There is of course a middle ground that captures the best of both but I think that that will take more $$ (and ideally involve a multi arm table setup)

Path III of course is to forget about analog at all and spend the $$ on your digital rig itself

Perhaps if you let us know what you are trying to get out of analog it would help you navigate -- the Verdier could be a good start in any of a number of dimensions but it would help to know where you are trying to get to
@fsmithjack 

fsmithjack
Do you think this set up has a chance?

If you answer these questions I will give you an opinion as an actual owner.

1) Will you set it up on the garage side or basement side ?

2) Are you willing to do the acoustic "dance" test before listening to the first record ?

3) Are you setting La Platine up with B & B ?

4)The TT has a learning curve. It is not plug and play. Are you willing to have patience with it ?

Yes or No is fine.      Just trying to help. 

@fsmithjack So what did you decide, Frank? 

In case you are still considering the Platine/Schick/Winfield I checked the specs and the compliance(16) is a good match with the effective mass of the arm. Cheers,
Spencer