Linear tracking turntables, whatever happened?

Curious as to the demise and downfall of the seemingly short lived linear tracking TT.
Just from a geometry point of view I would have thought a linear arm should be superior to one with a fixed pivot that sweeps through an arc.
Obviously there is much more to it than that, sort of the reason for this thread.
I am genuinely interested in trying one out for myself as well.
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xuberwaltz

Hi Whart et al

Just as a FYI - The ET2 tonearm thread contains Yellow Sticky's of the more important information like what types of carts and compliance to use. Anyone interested can go to any Audiogon search field and type in

ET2 Yellow Sticky

A list of subjects comes up to choose from.

The cartridge compliance information you are asking about has been covered on the the thread but it is long thread, and the Audiogon format can be hard to navigate. I just posted a new Yellow Sticky there on Cartridge Guidelines.

Click HERE to view.

For the ET2 tonearm there is no limit on cartridge compliance, as long as long as it is supported by the proper Armwand and I beam Leaf Spring Combo. Per the attached link. 

Hi uberwaltz - just a followup on your weights and clamps question. IMO what one is using depends first on the turntable design, and then if the tonearm supports it. Per Frogmans VPI clamp example.

Re; Center Weights

i.e. La Platine's magnetic bearing can support 8 kilograms if someone desired. But I would not think of adding this much weight to my Jean Nantais Lenco or Technics SP10 mechanical bearings.

I am also in the camp of making sure the LP is not "slippy" but allowing it to breathe. Also the only LPs I own that I can recall that are not visually flat when spinning ......are newer bought ones.  

After all these years and multiple center weights, I do still use an HRS analog disk. I like it. I also have some Michell/England clamps around as well. Working like the VPI ones without the need for a threaded spindle.
Cheers

Great information.
I have always used and been a fan of the Mitchell clamp rather than a weight per se. Works on any spindle just about and I would have thought would not intrude in the path of any linear arm.
I would think some of the taller weights would not physically fit with the design of some linear arms.
Clamps - the TransiFi manifold beam rides about 35 mm above the platter and 47 mm from the centre of the spindle. In my setup. Therefore, any weight < 88mm (3.5") of any height would fit.

Cartridges - I use very low compliance cartridges (Mayajima Zero and Koetsu) with the TransFI, but prefer the sound with a 2.9g brass weight on the nose of the wand, and a ’German silver’ (i.e. nickel brass alloy) 0.625" disk, with two holes drilled and tapped to accept the #3-56 brass cartridge bolts. This increases the mass of the tonearm and the rigidity of the cartridge mount. Also, I use MoonGel on every flat surface (wand and saddle) to reduce vibration.

I’ll host a thread on mods and setup after my construction project is finished (summer?).
@ct0517 and @terry9 - thanks both re my cartridge compliance question. I'll do a little reading.
regards,
bill