Linear tracking turntables, whatever happened?

Curious as to the demise and downfall of the seemingly short lived linear tracking TT.
Just from a geometry point of view I would have thought a linear arm should be superior to one with a fixed pivot that sweeps through an arc.
Obviously there is much more to it than that, sort of the reason for this thread.
I am genuinely interested in trying one out for myself as well.
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xuberwaltz
Clamps - the TransiFi manifold beam rides about 35 mm above the platter and 47 mm from the centre of the spindle. In my setup. Therefore, any weight < 88mm (3.5") of any height would fit.

Cartridges - I use very low compliance cartridges (Mayajima Zero and Koetsu) with the TransFI, but prefer the sound with a 2.9g brass weight on the nose of the wand, and a ’German silver’ (i.e. nickel brass alloy) 0.625" disk, with two holes drilled and tapped to accept the #3-56 brass cartridge bolts. This increases the mass of the tonearm and the rigidity of the cartridge mount. Also, I use MoonGel on every flat surface (wand and saddle) to reduce vibration.

I’ll host a thread on mods and setup after my construction project is finished (summer?).
@ct0517 and @terry9 - thanks both re my cartridge compliance question. I'll do a little reading.
regards,
bill 
I have just acquired a Technics sl10 linear tracker which looks to be fully functional and in good shape.

My question is concerning the RCA out.
It looks like it has a built in phono amp as the little button next to the RCA outs says mm/mc.
Does this mean it cannot be used through a phono amp as there does not appear to be a bypass to this , just choice of mm or mc.
Thank you
uberwaltz - four variables to consider MM, MC, Amplify and RIAA

my understanding from memory  

1) it does not do RIAA and 2) it will amplify if you select MC

We only want to amplify once, so there are two ways to do hook up for MC.

Select MM and use your own Phono Preamp which will amplify and RIAA.

or

Select MC if it's a MC cart. It will amplify and plug it into the MM input on your Phono Preamp.

make sense ?