It was 50 years ago today....

...that the Beatles played their last concert on the rooftop of Apple Records.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/beatles-famous-rooftop-concert-15-things-you-didnt-kno...
128x128mofimadness
It doesn’t matter what anyone, whether informed pedant or shameless ignoramus, thinks about The Beatles - good or bad. Popular music today would be something else altogether had they not existed. Apart from the music they created, they changed recording studio practices. Culturally and musically they were a seismic event that lasted the better part of a decade. They altered the landscape (to use that cliche) and there ain’t no going back. They weren’t operating in a vacuum of course, and no mention of the Fab 4 should be made without invoking the names of SS. Martin and Emerick.  Love ’em or hate ’em, doesn’t matter - The Beatles transformed popular music like no other group before or since. Some of us think the transformation was for the better.

Harold, I very much enjoy your post directly above. Nice to hear someone else give ABBA their due!

I imagine you know John Lennon loved "A Whiter Shade Of Pale", playing it incessantly they say. But I really must dispute you assertion that Gary Brooker and Hendrix "created the very first attempts to (write? create?) serious and important rock music". What do you consider "Like A Rolling Stone"? "God Only Knows"?

Leonard Berstein wrote, produced, and narrated a TV Special that aired on CBS in the spring of ’67, entitled Inside Pop---The Rock Revolution. One of the main segments is about Brian Wilson and his upcoming Smile album. Brian is shown playing "Surf’s Up" (lyrics by Van Dyke Parks, a much better lyricist that Brooker’s songwriting partner and Hendrix, imo) on the piano (yes, the one in the sandbox ;-) in his Bel Air mansion, and Berstein explains why he is so impressed. The show is viewable on You Tube.

To see and hear the genius of Brian Wilson explained and demonstrated, watch the You Tube video wherein a music teacher breaks down "God Only Knows", it's whole structure and construction. Chord by chord, the melody, harmonies, and counterpoint. It is mind blowingly great!

It doesn’t matter what anyone, whether informed pedant or shameless ignoramus, thinks about The Beatles - good or bad. Popular music today would be something else altogether had they not existed. Apart from the music they created, they changed recording studio practices. Culturally and musically they were a seismic event that lasted the better part of a decade. They altered the landscape (to use that cliche) and there ain’t no going back. They weren’t operating in a vacuum of course, and no mention of the Fab 4 should be made without invoking the names of SS. Martin and Emerick.  Love ’em or hate ’em, doesn’t matter - The Beatles transformed popular music like no other group before or since. Some of us think the transformation was for the better.

+1,000,000
Harold-barrel,

I am a huge long time fan of Procol Harum, Moody Blues, King Crimson, you name it late sixties early prog/art rock act, but you gotta realize non of that may have ever happened when it did without the Beatles blazing the trail for new waves of creativity in pop/rock in various ways/phases, and at different times in the immediate years prior. Starting with their emergence in 1964 and pretty much up to the end, at least up through the white album, after which they cooled their jets and just did what they had to in order to go out in style (Abbey Road).

George Martin + Co.  was a huge part of this!

Add their hit making and staying power, and being simply embedded in so many in so many ways as mentioned and there you have it. Plus they were a very talented kick-ass straight out rock and roll band to start with. They picked the ball back up from where Elvis, Buddy Holly, you name it left off in their late 50’s heyday, in their early days, and blazed the trail for pop/rock music from there, incorporating elements of most every prior music genre to some extent in the process.

By the way all---I did not mean to diminish the role of George Martin or Geoff Emerick (may they both rest in peace). They were both critical--especially Martin with classical music suggestions (often in answer to Paul's requests).  BUT, for example, Martin never told Paul how to approach the bass lines on" Something" or "With A Little Help From My Friends" or on many other Beatle songs as tastefully as he did. No one told Ringo how to hit the skins on "Ticket To Ride", "A Day In The Life" or "Come Together" or numerous other songs. The Beatles, according to Eric Clapton reflecting on his solo on "While My Guitar.." related how they were extremely tough task masters who worked hard to get every sound and every note exactly the way they wanted. In that respect, they were superb arrangers as was George Martin.