The truth about why modern music is so awful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVME_l4IwII
An eye opener 20 minute video, worth every second.
Enjoy!  and gotta love the guy's accent... :-)

Have a wonderful weekend everyone!

Ami
128x128ami
The Beatles aren’t overrated. I sang many a Beatles song to my kids when little and they grew up with a great appreciation of all kinds of music. My world class vocal skills were NOT the reason. 🙃

The Beatles are a musical phenomenon that becomes harder to believe with every passing year. Even the Faul saga is fascinating.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theunredacted.com/paul-is-dead-turn-me-on-dead-man/

Or how about the famous Rick Rubin eulogy from 2009?

"If we look at it by today's standards, whoever the most popular bands in the world are, they will typically put out an album every four years. So, let's say two albums as an eight year cycle.  And think of the growth or change between those two albums. The idea that The Beatles made thirteen albums in seven years and went through that arc of change... it can't be done.  Truthfully, I think of it as proof of God, because it's beyond man's ability."

Must all be strange for the people who were at school with them in Liverpool, or saw them in Hamburg. 

@nickecb, keep up the good work! 
We should demand more product placement in films. There's got to be more to cool Hi-Fi than just reel to reel and err...Beats.
I love poking fun at Beatles fans - sorry can't help it - I have a quite a few of their albums - and fully maintain they are seriously overrated - a bit like the Linn Sondek. It's due to growing up in the 80's and 90's when people answered when asked about who their favourite band was they would sanctimoniously say 'the Beatles' and only have 'Sgt peppers...' in their collection.
Anyway - I digress - it speaks for itself that we are debating the greatness of a band almost 60 years after their inception - I can't imagine people will argue over Robin Thicke, Ariane Grande and the rest of the current rubbish bunch.
I have to say thee chord/tone/ key change is interesting and unfair - there are many blues, jazz,  and country and western riffs that resonate in songs over the decades.
I think that rather oddly I think that the launch of the digital era was the starting point - First of all I'm not sure about you, but Digital rarely has the kind of 'Moreish' sound that keeps you listening - it always seems on edge. We then have the convenience of track skipping - and then streaming and bit by bit we keep narrowing our attention span like a drug addict needing a quick fix hence the homogenisation of pop music.

"So the burning question now for a true audiophile is obviously how accurately can your rig reproduce these modern recordings in question? At live-like volumes?"

I believe this is the real point to be made and asked. I don't care much about the volume as much as I do the size of the soundstage.

Something HEA has not covered with accuracy is (as well as some studio engineers "pre mastering") compressing the signal as a loudness compensation is not the same as compressing the soundstage size. A lot of guys who can't make a recording sound good is because they have squeezed soundstages to start with and have not learned how to replay a stage at it's real size/real space.

MG

lohanimal mentioned “instant gratification”. Got me thinking this is the driving motivation of recorded music.   We can play what we want, where we want, when we want.  Over and over and over again. The time machine aspect is, well, miraculous.   No complaining here.