Jimmy Page, It's time to call your lawyers?

I'm pretty late to this party--as usual.  A Chicago radio station is starry-eyed over Greta Van Fleet.  I gave them a listen today.  All I could think was...

Is this a Zeppelin parody band? 

There are so many features to their sound, playing, and sonics that sound just like LZ--so much so that I cannot get into the music passionately.  These are (IMHO):  Vocals (phrasing mimics Robert Plant without stopping);  Lyrics (the themes seem, based on limited listening, to track LZ);  Lead Guitar (I cannot think of another guitarist who sounds like he's trying to sound like Page as much as this one).  

Does Greta Van Fleet sound like a facsimile to you?  I'm not hung up on punishing artists who copy, as I think it's part and parcel of the art form.  But I'm having real trouble getting past the photocopy nature of this.  Again, this is just one person's opinion. So curious to hear what others think and feel about this group.  I'd like to give them more of a chance and maybe others can help.  For now, I can't keep listening.

128x128jbhiller
They are talented, but need to find their own voice. Now they are just a Zeppelin wannabe band without their own artistic expression/voice. It is possible for kids who have not heard the original to be fascinated, but when they discover Zeppelin they must then feel cheated :-D
The only thing Zep-ish about the Van Fleets is the singer's voice...the dynamics pretty much lack with Fleet and most modern bands, which hasn't hurt their career I suppose. Zep's early performances were very dynamic, and utilized all the smart tricks of the trade from their attitude and utterly organized relentless showmanship and musical chops, which in Van Fleet's case means the guitar and bass player jump around a lot. They can get better, but based of their sudden success they might not have to. The Bass-keyboard kid has some serious talent so maybe he can think up some good material.
If you know LZ and if you know Robert Plant you will see that the singer of GVF even parodies his movements and stage presence. Nothing wrong with that. Just saying.

I don’t see them as a parody band. I think they are serious about what they do.

I don’t see them as a tribute band because they’re not really playing LZ songs.

I don’t see them as thieves. They’re just doing what rock musicians do. And let’s not forget, probably none of them were born before LZ broke up.

The problem I have with them is that they just aren’t very good. I can’t listen to them for more than a few minutes. The way they have ’borrowed’ just doesn’t work for me. It seems like a very formulaic borrowing, not just a matter of learning and influence.

I think they have the ability to be a good band. I think if they want that to happen they need to stop listening to LZ immediately and start listening to hard raw blues all day and all night for a year and then write some music.

"If you know LZ and if you know Robert Plant you will see that the singer of GVF even parodies his movements and stage presence. Nothing wrong with that. Just saying."

n80-
I was wondering if my criticism was too harsh, mentioning the RP stage persona.
Listening to the singer, and watching the guitarist ape Jimmy’s moves,just became corny.

I don’t think of GVF as a Zep rip-off band, their just lacking in originality.

ANY Rock band coming up these days, has to not only have musical chops, but the rare ability to somehow, add something fresh. Ripoff or not, the mighty Zeppelin, and others did just that.

Those boys need to draw deeper within. A visit to the "crossroads" perhaps?