Why the facination with integrated amps?

I don’t get it. Is it the manufacturers spotting a trend with the tail wagging the dog or does a significant market segment truly prefer the idea of an integrated?
Pros;
Less space
One less set of IC’s
In theory-one less chassis/case to pay for
Shorter signal paths possible
Can combine transformer/cap function
Cons;
Power supply interference/spuriae
Reduced Flexibility-can’t switch amp or preamp as easily or go to monoblocs
Less resonance control
Long history of lesser performance per measurements and long-term subjective listening
Less resale value if it turns out to be a fad
Less liklihood of an extremely high performing active preamp

I freely admit I am a skeptic. The industry-like so many others-looks for new market niches to move product. 
FWIW, the only integrateds I myself would care to audition would be from Esoteric and Luxman who have a long history of designing no-compromise (low-compromise) high-end integrateds. 

128x128fsonicsmith
What I don't understand is the idea that integrated amps are a new trend. My first "good" stereo in 1965 had an integrated amp.  They have always been with us.  Took a back seat to receivers for a couple of decades due to the popularity of FM radio,  Now hardly anyone listens to terrestrial radio any more and we are back to integrateds. 
For another lesser used setup in my basement. I replaced a very reknowned vintage receiver with a modern Fosi Audio Class D integrated amp with bluetooth. $80 on amazon.   It is about the size of a pack of cigarattes and has  drive limits accordingly with only 50w/ch but sounds very good within its limits with vintage Boston A40s.

Flemming Rasmussen of Gryphon knew that he was going to retire soon, so he wanted to design the best integrated for almost reasonable cost he could for people who wanted his equipment but could not have separates for one reason or another. Not that he didn't design integrateds before. The result is Diablo 300. But he is separates man. Putting a few components in one box is not really a good idea. Though I wouldn't have space for his separates, in addition to funds.
Separates is always a way to go, if you can and have audiophile knowledge, or a trusted adviser.
"The industry-like so many others-looks for new market niches to move product."
Which product? Integrated amplifiers? They have been around for decades and I would bet they have outsold separates by a large number.

fcsonicsmith,

I will assume you are over 20 (years old). How many of your friends from teenage years, and later, have had integrated amplifiers at home or some school dorm? How many had separates? Integrated amplifiers are hardly "a new market niche".

On a technical entertainment side, some integrated amplifiers actually have pre-out/power-in capabilities so you can play with different combinations to your heart’s content.
I’m finding this discussion interesting and valuable. Integrates vs separates is something I’m contemplating as I think about replacing my entire rig. Maybe it’s time to stop buying all separate equipment like amps, preamp, phono stage, dac, transport, streamer, etc.  It would be nice if one or two units could be sonically competitive with all of that hardware and save space and money.  It seems I’m not the only one thinking this and many have already shifted to integrated components. Two brands that are new to me have been mentioned already. Thanks! 
But it does irritate me when people post trying to sell their wares in the middle of these discussions. Particularly when there is no tie-in at all. I guess it doesn’t bother other people as much as it does me since no one else has said anything. I just can’t respect anyone that does it.