Why the facination with integrated amps?

I don’t get it. Is it the manufacturers spotting a trend with the tail wagging the dog or does a significant market segment truly prefer the idea of an integrated?
Pros;
Less space
One less set of IC’s
In theory-one less chassis/case to pay for
Shorter signal paths possible
Can combine transformer/cap function
Cons;
Power supply interference/spuriae
Reduced Flexibility-can’t switch amp or preamp as easily or go to monoblocs
Less resonance control
Long history of lesser performance per measurements and long-term subjective listening
Less resale value if it turns out to be a fad
Less liklihood of an extremely high performing active preamp

I freely admit I am a skeptic. The industry-like so many others-looks for new market niches to move product. 
FWIW, the only integrateds I myself would care to audition would be from Esoteric and Luxman who have a long history of designing no-compromise (low-compromise) high-end integrateds. 

128x128fsonicsmith
Integrated amplifiers? They have been around for decades and I would bet they have outsold separates by a large number.

glupson....Receivers!!! 100K to 1? 500K to 1? 1 million to 1?  Yeah, large numbers. 
My first “real” stereo had a front end Sansui 5000 receiver, some years later (40+ years),  through solid state integrated amps and separates, solid state amps/tube preamps, big amps and small amps, I finally stopped chasing audio perfection (doesn’t exist). 

I’m now listening to a reasonably powered tube integrated with massive power supply  (an effort to simplify and improve my listening situation) and haven’t been this happy in the 40+ years. 

A high quality integrated, solid state or tube, may be a very satisfying solution for lots of people. 
david_ten,

I completely forgot receivers as an even more integrated option. It would be interesting to know those numbers. They must be huge.

As an excuse for my forgetting receivers altogether, they were not that popular in Europe. That is where they were almost an actual niche product at some point. I knew a lots of people with integrated amplifiers but nobody with a receiver or separates.
Its technically cheaper to invest into a Integrated than a 2 or 3 box system. Sales are declining on a global scale thou Asia is showing better data on this aspect then the West. 

Simpler and neater would be one consideration, Space saving is another.
Diablo 300 without optional phono and dac is basically a stereo power amp, preamp section is passive. The least expensive Gryphon power amp is I think in the mid-$30k.
Can you do better than the Diablo for $16k with separates, speaking only transistor and hybrid amps ? New - almost certainly not, used separates vs new Diablo - maybe, depends on many things including speakers, maybe not. Personally, I would add great separate tube phono to the Diablo and be happy for the next ten years or so.