Home owner's insurance question

Reading through my policy it would appear that through the personal property section an audio system is covered for loss.  No special rider is necessary.  But the replacement cost section states that the insurance company won't pay until you actually replace your stereo system.  If one makes a big claim, let's say $100,000, how does one pay this first if you're going to get paid afterwards?  What if you don't have the money to re-buy your system or you choose not to replace it?  Can any insurance experts explain to me how these home owner policies actually work?
philharmonicpete
the way it works with most insurers is they will pay up front the depreciated cost of your gear and then pay the remainder of the "replacement cost" when you show proof of purchase....some carriers just pay the whole thing up front. I would discuss this issue with my insurance agent, he should know
My insurance agent said they would cover for loss of my system in case of a major loss, but said it would be a good idea to take detailed pics of all my equipment including Cd's and Lp's. The latter could be more expensive than the equipment if you think about it. Documentation is extremely important in cases like this. Obviously you would want to keep this documentation in a safe, indestructible, place.
they will pay up front the depreciated cost of your gear and then pay the remainder of the "replacement cost" when you show proof of purchase....some carriers just pay the whole thing up front.

Can you have replacement cost reimbursement on your audio system only? IOW, can you single out the system from the  value of other property?

But the replacement cost section states that the insurance company won't pay until you actually replace your stereo system. If one makes a big claim, let's say $100,000, how does one pay this first if you're going to get paid afterwards?  

Yeah. If only we had some way of providing money now and paying it back later. Like, a credit. Of course having the money now is worth more than having it later, so you would probably have to pay back a little more than the credit. Lotta complicated details to be worked out. Probably never happen. Not in a million years.
As an ex insurance guy, @@dweller and @tuberist are correct. You get the actual cash value of each irem first and then the remaining $ after you actually replace the irem. The policy covers full replacement cost only if you replace. You can replace with a similar item, it does not have to be the same manufacturer or model.