Why the facination with integrated amps?

I don’t get it. Is it the manufacturers spotting a trend with the tail wagging the dog or does a significant market segment truly prefer the idea of an integrated?
Pros;
Less space
One less set of IC’s
In theory-one less chassis/case to pay for
Shorter signal paths possible
Can combine transformer/cap function
Cons;
Power supply interference/spuriae
Reduced Flexibility-can’t switch amp or preamp as easily or go to monoblocs
Less resonance control
Long history of lesser performance per measurements and long-term subjective listening
Less resale value if it turns out to be a fad
Less liklihood of an extremely high performing active preamp

I freely admit I am a skeptic. The industry-like so many others-looks for new market niches to move product. 
FWIW, the only integrateds I myself would care to audition would be from Esoteric and Luxman who have a long history of designing no-compromise (low-compromise) high-end integrateds. 

128x128fsonicsmith
fonicsmith
I, being a skeptic, don’t claim to be right, but only offer the humble suggestion that integrated amps are a solution for a problem that never was. Whatever is old is new again. A Krell integrated graced the cover of Stereophile 25 years ago with the immortal caption, "What the Krell?". It failed on measurements and consumer satisfaction despite delivering name cache combined with lower price. Can an integrated offer state of the art sound? Unquestionably yes. Is the fact that every major manufacturer and their sister is offering an integrated a sell-job by the industry? IMHO, unquestionably yes.

I don’t see how you can say this other than by ignoring at least half the comments posted on this thread. Have you been reading them? Any of them? The whole thread is a virtual refutation of everything you just said.

You think one Stereophile cover 25 years ago makes your point? I went shopping for my first real system upgrade in 1973 at the age of 16. There was no Stereophile or any other advertising I was aware of back then to sway me. I simply went around to every store and listened to everything and figured out for myself that integrateds had by far the most performance for the money. Not receivers. Integrateds. If there was any sell-job by the industry it was for receivers. But if it was it was a bad one. Anyone doing what I did, actually comparing and listening, would figure out the integrated is the sweet-spot.

One last thing, just to highlight the extent of your illogic. You say you’re a skeptic. Then you conclude with, "Unquestionably yes."

I’m a little hazy on my definitions. Help me out. Skeptic. Unquestioning. These go together how?

In my opinion, it really isn't sound quality that is the number one driver for people purchasing an integrated amp.  most people are not audiophiles and don't sit and listen to music for hours on end.  They have "lives" (notice the quotes?) and listen to music while doing other things.  So, music is background music to them.  don't get me wrong, they appreciate good sound, but I believe in most cases (not super high end), aesthetics, space, costs, less complexity are the driving issues in the purchase.

Most places (Europe and other countries) simply don't have large living spaces that can be taken up by lots of equipment and cabling. 

People that are forced to downsize also want less complex equipment and have less space and time to tinker.

Consider, that many people simply have no clue as to the costs of high end equipment and are quite taken aback when they walk into a high end store and see what's offered and the prices.  That's like being prepared to purchase a subaru and mistakenly walking into a Mercedes dealership.  Opp, my bad, time to back out quietly.

I love music, played many instruments and can't stand it when music doesn't sound real or right.  So, I made a conscience choice to make music and listening a priority in my life.  I can't tell you how many people I know think I'm absolutely nuts.

But, they have no problem with distinguishing high end cars, watches, etc.  interesting.

Also, the Wife Acceptance Factor (WAF) is still very much alive and well.  I am starting to see separates looking quite nice, but, this is still a sore spot for many.  Most integrated amps look nice. 

I don't see a new fascination.  Integrated amps or receivers have been around for as long as I can remember.

When I'm ready to downsize, I would be very interested in a very nice integrated.  I'm not sure I want to be worried about tube amps later on.  I already watched on of my Audio Research REF 250 amps go up in flames when a tube failed.  it took out resistors and capacitors and traces.  I was watching when it happened.  $3,000 in repairs later it is perfect.  And those were brand new tubes purchased from a tube supplier that claimed they were matched tubes for that amp.  Never again.  I will only purchase tubes from Audio Research.  they will pay for repairs to their equipment if tubes they supply fail.  lesson learned.  However, a very good solid state amp or integrated amp that can drive my speakers (which may also change when I downsize) is the next step in this adventure.

enjoy 

I think manufacturers have realized integrateds can be the “gateway drug” for getting consumers into their sound/brand as they move up tiers in the cost/quality chain (yeees, not indelibly linked), so they have made them better.
Especially higher end brands that suffer from chronic unattainability. Lower-model separates from such a brand also seem less sexy / attractive in terms of perceived-value than their highest-model integrated... (and this sometimes is true for real SQ because of the first reason above). 
Take any true high end manufacturer, after hearing their better or any separates you wouldn't want to listen to their integrateds for long or at all. However, there might be exceptions, I heard that some people prefer overall the sound of DartZeel integrated to the separates. I personally have not encountered any exception so far.