Which Class D Amplifier? PS Audio, Ghent, Nord, Merrill or other???

I’m looking for a new amp & want Class D.

I’ve seen various brands mentioned, such as PS Audio, Ghent, Nord, Merrel to name a few, but I’ve not heard any of them.

Which company is producing the best sounding Class D?
Which models should I be looking to demo?

Thanks

singintheblues
noble/Tim, et al

UPDATE: I replaced the old (~ 10 years) mid line PS Audio XLR with WireWorld newest Series 8 Silver XLR ($425) WOW. after a couple hours I was hearing a grungy distortion, so I  decided to replace the  PC I was using with my WW Eclipse Series 7 PC (the one that I replaced prior to inserting the PS XLR) OMG. This is the most natural my system has sounded in many years.  Oh, and subs are turned off but the Emerald Physics KCIIs have really good bass to ~ 40, which is ample for most music. Where I was using the F4 digital filter on my Audio Alchemy Dac/Pre I am now on F1, which is the least filtered

Paraphrasing your reply, Class D is ruthless on ancillary kit and cables. They should be upgraded before bashing class D
atmasphere:

"^ The reason we aren't using GaNs yet is we are in a prototype stage. We developed a means of eliminating the need for dead time circuitry in class D amps (for which we have a patent pending).

The main reason to use GaNs is to minimize dead time (dead time increases distortion). So you are seeing GaN-based class D amps right now that have no dead time circuits simply because the transistor is so fast that with conventional switching speeds no dead time circuits are needed. 
We're able to switch at the same speeds with conventional devices."

Hello Ralph,

I would like to retract my complete previous post addressed to you.  I had a hunch you had your reasons for not using the new GaN FETs, but I had no idea those reasons were so completely awesome and with a patent pending, to boot. This is really big news that sounds like a major breakthrough in your class D amp efforts to me.  

Breaking News: Atmasphere Ralph just killed dead time.  Congratulations!  
    Please accept my apologies for ever having doubted your judgement.  The legend of your amp engineering and design prowess just continues to grow. Best wishes on your patent application.  Yahtzee!

Thanks,
 Tim 
tweak1:

"Paraphrasing your reply, Class D is ruthless on ancillary kit and cables. They should be upgraded before bashing class D."

Hello tweak1,

Great to hear that you’re benefiting from the detail and clarity of class D technology to significantly upgrade your system’s ancillary power cords and cables. I had similar improvements in my system by installing custom made XLR cables between preamp and class D mono blocks and power cords on my monos (all ordered from James Romeyn Music LLC). I also installed dedicated AC lines for the monos that made obvious improvements.
Similar ancillary kit and cable changes, as well as the quality level of source recordings, were never this clearly noticed through the decent quality class AB amps I previously used.

Enjoy,
Tim

As always ’compared to what", Well, I was in the biz in the late 1990s-- early 2000s. Dedicated 20 amp line, and was testing various PLCs.. Back then the PS Audio P300 on the front end was awesome.

At one point I had Rogue M150 monos with full sets of cryoed 6550s and EL 34s (+ cryoed NOS driver tubes), a Lector pre (custom ordered with XLR output) and several tube CD players. everything was on Stillpoints with Risers and custom Harmonic boards (made from violin wood): I was/am an isolation nut. IMHO, nothing is as good as inexpensive Machina Dynamica Springs, which isolate in all 3 dimensions). Various speakers, but at one point I had Harry Pearsons Genesis Vs, and later a prototype pair of 7ft Nearfield Pipedreams with a 10K MSRP (we were dealers), followed by Usher 6371s> KCIIs. You get the picture

I started getting into class D with PS Audios various iterations; I still have a GCC 250 (modified as new by Underwood HiFi driving my video system. In the main rig I had W4S stereo amp> W4s MC 250/500> Emerald Physics 100.2SE with custom fuses) and currently Audio Alchemy DPA- 1 (stereo amp) and matching AA DDP-1 (dac/pre). CD is a Marantz HD CD 1 used as a transport via HQ coax, and an Oppo 105 with Linear Power Supply and incoming IEC wire upgrade for high rez discs, which I haven’t yet listened to in months. Speakers are Emerald Physics KCIIs (Clarity cap and WireWorld internal XO wire upgrades) which replaced Magnepan 3.5Rs and 2 SVS (Ultra subs, both turned off after the cable changes

So, when I say I haven’t had this level sound quality in decades, that says a lot, to me at least. .

Only budget limits me  at this time from Nuprime Evos, GaN...
tweak1,

It sounds like you have a lot of experience which I think is critical in building a system you really enjoy. Listening to the opinions of experienced individuals on audio forums like this is helpful but I believe most of us learn best from actual personal experience. The process of just trying different things ( amps, sources, speakers, positioning, room treatments, cabling and even tweaks), over time, results in a solid foundation that not only lets you know what sounds good to you but also how to attain those sound qualities in your own system.
My interest in class D amps began by reading numerous positive comments on them here and on other audio forums. Eventually, I just bought one (a ClassD Audio SDS-440-CS stereo unit) more out of curiosity than anything else.
I was amazed at how well this small, light, efficient and inexpensive ($600) amp powered my inefficient Magnepan 2.7QR speakers. It was better in every respect than the class AB Aragon 4004 MKII amp I used previously and it was about a third of the size, weight and cost.
Actually trying it out in my own combo music and ht system convinced me how exceptionally well this class D amp performed and I was now curious about the differences between class D amps. Within a year, I bought a few more class D amps: a stereo Emerald Physics EP100.2SE and a pair of mono block D-Sonic M3-600-M amps. These both sounded very good and similar but with better dynamics and improved midrange/treble qualities I’d describe as warmer and smoother.
My entire 5.1 ht surround and 2-ch music system is now powered by class D amps and I’ve sold all 3 of my previous stereo class AB amps. My system’s never sounded better and there’re no downsides.
I think the class D experience I’ve gained has also allowed me to confidently realize that class D critics are typically either misinformed, have an ulterior motive or simply have no personal experience using good examples of them.

Later,
Tim