New speakers? No thanks.

Last week while chilling with my wife, listening to music, she turns to me and says,” you haven’t bought any new speakers in years.  You should take our tax return and get some”.  Did the planets just line up?  Or was it the two bottles of wine?   Who cares!?!

Ive been totally satisfied with my speakers,Vandersteen Quatros, but wasn’t gonna waste this opportunity to shop. So I hit up a couple of shops in Seattle.  I listened to the new Tannoy Cheviots and DC10a.  I tried some Devore Gibbons.  Listened to Martin Logan’s, Sonus, Living Voice, and Usher.   

None of these sung to me like my old Vandies. As a matter of fact, it wasn’t close. While they all had their attributes, none checked all the boxes.   I know it’s system and room dependent, but you can get a decent idea in showrooms.   

I think I’ll just save my pennies, and try to get my wife wasted enough someday to get some new Quatro CTs.  
bigboltz
The short answer confirmation bias is being open to information that confirms our own beliefs- about sound, wine, cars, politics, even science

one reason why the frequent touchstone of Live unamplified Music need be a persistent reference

and another reason why I own speakers with widely divergent design principles...
@tomic601 Wish I was closer but the guy I purchased the 5As from got the 7s.  He told me that he did not feel the 5 Carbons was worth the extra funds so he go the 7s.  I was never really that impressed with the overall sound until we brought my DAC to her in his system.  It was a transformation.  If you even come to the NYC area, let me know.  There are few audio clubs in the area and plenty of dealers too.  I will be launching the product line soon.  The past two Capital Audio Fests the room we were in won best of show with the GT Audio speaker room.  You can look it up and there are a few links to the room playing music.

Happy Listening.  What other equipment are you using with the 7s?
A good example of confirmation bias writ large was a guy I sold a stereo system in 1980
he had grown up obsessed with LED Zeppelin and played it constantly on his all in one white plastic GE stereo - you know the one....
anyway he saved to buy an NAD amp, Denon TT and ADS 710

he returned at after a week saying it didn’t sound like Zeppelin..., his own personal private Led Zep....
I have Vandersteen 2 CE Sig II, and enjoy them immensely but if I were able to budget a change of speakers I would get the Quatro Wood CT without question.