New speakers? No thanks.

Last week while chilling with my wife, listening to music, she turns to me and says,” you haven’t bought any new speakers in years.  You should take our tax return and get some”.  Did the planets just line up?  Or was it the two bottles of wine?   Who cares!?!

Ive been totally satisfied with my speakers,Vandersteen Quatros, but wasn’t gonna waste this opportunity to shop. So I hit up a couple of shops in Seattle.  I listened to the new Tannoy Cheviots and DC10a.  I tried some Devore Gibbons.  Listened to Martin Logan’s, Sonus, Living Voice, and Usher.   

None of these sung to me like my old Vandies. As a matter of fact, it wasn’t close. While they all had their attributes, none checked all the boxes.   I know it’s system and room dependent, but you can get a decent idea in showrooms.   

I think I’ll just save my pennies, and try to get my wife wasted enough someday to get some new Quatro CTs.  
bigboltz
Listen a few times to the same recording:Your favorit music..before you go to a store. See that all the details are in your head. Let play the same music in de store and look for the details in the music, how the Instruments sound. According to you, take the best sounding. Ask to compare the best sounding speakers at home with yours. Than you can make a decision. The best speakers are those that sound most pleasant to you ( and your wife). I can not say: “This or that brand of speakers”,because it  has also to match with your amplifier.
Hmmm- I heard there aren't many sources to get wasted in Seattle. Good luck anyway though.
 @bigkidz A DHt DAC done well must be a thing of wonder :-) 

My ref system viewable in the virtual systems part of audiogon
search Poverty Bay and I think you will find it.

enjoy the music and the tax returns and the wine everyone !!!!
Being satisified or happy with what one has, the life one lives is one of the best things we can do for happiness.