Classical Music for Aficionados

I would like to start a thread, similar to Orpheus’ jazz site, for lovers of classical music.
I will list some of my favorite recordings, CDs as well as LP’s. While good sound is not a prime requisite, it will be a consideration.
  Classical music lovers please feel free to add to my lists.
Discussion of musical and recording issues will be welcome.

I’ll start with a list of CDs.  Records to follow in a later post.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique.  Chesky  — Royal Phil. Orch.  Freccia, conductor.
Mahler:  Des Knaben Wunderhorn.  Vanguard Classics — Vienna Festival Orch. Prohaska, conductor.
Prokofiev:  Scythian Suite et. al.  DG  — Chicago Symphony  Abbado, conductor.
Brahms: Symphony #1.  Chesky — London Symph. Orch.  Horenstein, conductor.
Stravinsky: L’Histoire du Soldat. HDTT — Ars Nova.  Mandell, conductor.
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances. Analogue Productions. — Dallas Symph Orch. Johanos, cond.
Respighi: Roman Festivals et. al. Chesky — Royal Phil. Orch. Freccia, conductor.

All of the above happen to be great sounding recordings, but, as I said, sonics is not a prerequisite.

128x128rvpiano
@jmpsmash,
Thanks for recommending Wranitsky. I never heard of him before your post.

I just found another composer I never knew existed:
Woldemar Bargiel.
It seems he was step brother to Clara Schumann. Wikipedia posts that they became close and Clara tried hard to get his music recognized.
A little nepotism never hurts...
Nevertheless, he seems to have very good structure and is very listenable. A bit of Mendelssohn, a bit of Schumann- nice.
B
Gdnrbob,

I’m impressed you got to know the 7th so early.
It took me years to crack it.  But now that I did, I love it.
 I think most people (including me) were introduced to Mahler through the First Symphony.

I was actually introduced via the Second; the classic Solti Chicago SO on vinyl is imprinted on my teenage memory patterns.  After I got to know all ten, it just seems to me that the Fourth captures a lot of the mature Mahler and is at the same time highly approachable.

I agree that the First is also approachable, but parts of it still sound a little as if written by a Mahler still learning the craft.

I have multiple, multiple recordings of all except of 7 and 8--one each I think.  I never even remotely warmed to 8.  7 I never understood, and apparently I still don't.  To me it just doesn't seem to move beyond anything that he achieved in 2, 3, 5, 6.  Kind of drab or not really knowing where it's going.  He's back on form in a big way in 9.  And there are some excellent completions of 10.

What EVERY Classical lover should have is IMO the greatest recording
ever made .
Puccini’s" La Boheme " with the greatest singer of the last century,Jussi Bjoerling, with his two favorite partners, also greats, Victoria De Los Angeles and Robert Merrill .
Sir Thomas Beecham never made a bad recording and this is his very best , a true masterpiece . Every one involved was at the acme of
their art .

As Robert Greenfield ,the great Gramophone critic said "rarely if ever directed a more glowing opera performance on record .......the norm against which all other performances have to be judged ."

The sound was remastered from mono from the 1956 recording from the original two track tape and is very natural and spacious .
My two copies are Seraphim SIB-6099 which means it was an EMI recording , a good thing .
I know it is on CD and also know I would pay a lot more for vinyl .

Even if you hate opera perfection has a beauty all its own .

P.S . There are CD recordings both on Naxos and Great Performances of the Century on Amazon .         I'd buy Naxos , same thing , less money . Read the reviews folks !