Classical Music for Aficionados

I would like to start a thread, similar to Orpheus’ jazz site, for lovers of classical music.
I will list some of my favorite recordings, CDs as well as LP’s. While good sound is not a prime requisite, it will be a consideration.
  Classical music lovers please feel free to add to my lists.
Discussion of musical and recording issues will be welcome.

I’ll start with a list of CDs.  Records to follow in a later post.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique.  Chesky  — Royal Phil. Orch.  Freccia, conductor.
Mahler:  Des Knaben Wunderhorn.  Vanguard Classics — Vienna Festival Orch. Prohaska, conductor.
Prokofiev:  Scythian Suite et. al.  DG  — Chicago Symphony  Abbado, conductor.
Brahms: Symphony #1.  Chesky — London Symph. Orch.  Horenstein, conductor.
Stravinsky: L’Histoire du Soldat. HDTT — Ars Nova.  Mandell, conductor.
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances. Analogue Productions. — Dallas Symph Orch. Johanos, cond.
Respighi: Roman Festivals et. al. Chesky — Royal Phil. Orch. Freccia, conductor.

All of the above happen to be great sounding recordings, but, as I said, sonics is not a prerequisite.

128x128rvpiano

I was actually introduced via the Second; the classic Solti Chicago SO on vinyl is imprinted on my teenage memory patterns.  After I got to know all ten, it just seems to me that the Fourth captures a lot of the mature Mahler and is at the same time highly approachable.

I agree that the First is also approachable, but parts of it still sound a little as if written by a Mahler still learning the craft.

I have multiple, multiple recordings of all except of 7 and 8--one each I think.  I never even remotely warmed to 8.  7 I never understood, and apparently I still don't.  To me it just doesn't seem to move beyond anything that he achieved in 2, 3, 5, 6.  Kind of drab or not really knowing where it's going.  He's back on form in a big way in 9.  And there are some excellent completions of 10.

What EVERY Classical lover should have is IMO the greatest recording
ever made .
Puccini’s" La Boheme " with the greatest singer of the last century,Jussi Bjoerling, with his two favorite partners, also greats, Victoria De Los Angeles and Robert Merrill .
Sir Thomas Beecham never made a bad recording and this is his very best , a true masterpiece . Every one involved was at the acme of
their art .

As Robert Greenfield ,the great Gramophone critic said "rarely if ever directed a more glowing opera performance on record .......the norm against which all other performances have to be judged ."

The sound was remastered from mono from the 1956 recording from the original two track tape and is very natural and spacious .
My two copies are Seraphim SIB-6099 which means it was an EMI recording , a good thing .
I know it is on CD and also know I would pay a lot more for vinyl .

Even if you hate opera perfection has a beauty all its own .

P.S . There are CD recordings both on Naxos and Great Performances of the Century on Amazon .         I'd buy Naxos , same thing , less money . Read the reviews folks !

As with others here, Mahler 1 was my introduction to Mahler. (Solti and the CSO). Next was the 7th with Levine and the CSO (still my favorite version, and I think this may be due to Levine’s association with the opera, he brings an aspect of more ’theater’ to it.

Then came the 2nd. I still have problems getting really interested the the first couple of movements except as a road to take getting to the last movement which is my all time favorite climax (of anybody). It really is emotionally moving. It just wrings me out!!!!

Then came the 6th (Sanderling and the St Petersberg PO). At last, for me, a complete, coherent, symphony full of moments great beauty alternating with moments of great angst right thru the final movement. This has always been, for me anyway, Mahler’s best.

The 4th is excellent especially if you want to just relax. It is almost too accessible. :-)

The 3d is just too long for me. But as with all of Mahler the use of chorus or solo vocals, makes it worth while.

The 8th is two different symphonies, in style at least. I like the first, the second not so much. But I do prefer Solti’s and the CSO when I do get it out.

Then comes the 9th. Much as I like it I’ve never put is all together. Bernstein’s 1979 live performance with the Berliner PO brings me as close as I’ve ever come. The 9th fascinates me none the less.

Needless to say Mahler competes only with Sibelius and Beethoven in my pantheon of the greatest composers of symphonies.

Really ?
Mozart and Brahms are better .
And at their best cases can be made for Haydn , Schubert and Bruckner .
The Ninth Mahler Symphony is not only my favorite of his, but maybe my favorite of any composer.  The first movement, especially, is heartbreaking.
I just listened to the 3rd Symphony with Bernstein on DG with the NY Phil.
Magnificent interpretation and state of the art sound on my system.
Having multiple versions of all Mahler’s symphonies, this interpretation is one of the best.