Classical Music for Aficionados

I would like to start a thread, similar to Orpheus’ jazz site, for lovers of classical music.
I will list some of my favorite recordings, CDs as well as LP’s. While good sound is not a prime requisite, it will be a consideration.
  Classical music lovers please feel free to add to my lists.
Discussion of musical and recording issues will be welcome.

I’ll start with a list of CDs.  Records to follow in a later post.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique.  Chesky  — Royal Phil. Orch.  Freccia, conductor.
Mahler:  Des Knaben Wunderhorn.  Vanguard Classics — Vienna Festival Orch. Prohaska, conductor.
Prokofiev:  Scythian Suite et. al.  DG  — Chicago Symphony  Abbado, conductor.
Brahms: Symphony #1.  Chesky — London Symph. Orch.  Horenstein, conductor.
Stravinsky: L’Histoire du Soldat. HDTT — Ars Nova.  Mandell, conductor.
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances. Analogue Productions. — Dallas Symph Orch. Johanos, cond.
Respighi: Roman Festivals et. al. Chesky — Royal Phil. Orch. Freccia, conductor.

All of the above happen to be great sounding recordings, but, as I said, sonics is not a prerequisite.

128x128rvpiano
RV Piano, 

And my horse likes a muddy course. More fun getting all fouled up in the process than having to cross the finish line all prim, prissy, and politically correct. 

FWIW, I reflect a bit on my early experiences with Beethoven (and Schubert) symphonies. At that time I found the most venerated performances were over orchestrated, dense, slow, forced grandiose, etc, and IMHO, ultimately boring (or, alternatively, perhaps I was too just too dull to absorb them). I tried various HIP recordings, often using original instruments. No answer for me there.

Then I heard; 1) Kleibers 5th - It blew me away, still does, that man really got the beat down! Exciting as all hell; then, 2) Harnoncourt's performances of the symphonies which were just influenced by original performances/instruments, not just replications. Now I began to hear  something that made sense to me and really opened up my mind for subsequent performances without historical restraints. 

To paraphrase a famous line, I just find it more fun to follow the road less traveled. :-)

Horses think?

newbee,

CARLOS Kleiber’s 5th (I haven’t heard his father Erich’s 5th lately) is indeed a very exciting performance.  I concur that the Schubert Symphonies sound more alive with a lighter touch.  
RVpiano, I'll have you know I happen to have a very smart horse! It is a real challenge to compete with him when he's having a good day. But I digress (or is it regress? I'll have to ask my horse.) :-)
Post removed 
It's common for those who grew up in a rock culture to like music that does something for them and not for the music itself .A German principal in a great German  orchestra said to me , " their hearts are blind to beauty " .