Classical Music for Aficionados

I would like to start a thread, similar to Orpheus’ jazz site, for lovers of classical music.
I will list some of my favorite recordings, CDs as well as LP’s. While good sound is not a prime requisite, it will be a consideration.
  Classical music lovers please feel free to add to my lists.
Discussion of musical and recording issues will be welcome.

I’ll start with a list of CDs.  Records to follow in a later post.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique.  Chesky  — Royal Phil. Orch.  Freccia, conductor.
Mahler:  Des Knaben Wunderhorn.  Vanguard Classics — Vienna Festival Orch. Prohaska, conductor.
Prokofiev:  Scythian Suite et. al.  DG  — Chicago Symphony  Abbado, conductor.
Brahms: Symphony #1.  Chesky — London Symph. Orch.  Horenstein, conductor.
Stravinsky: L’Histoire du Soldat. HDTT — Ars Nova.  Mandell, conductor.
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances. Analogue Productions. — Dallas Symph Orch. Johanos, cond.
Respighi: Roman Festivals et. al. Chesky — Royal Phil. Orch. Freccia, conductor.

All of the above happen to be great sounding recordings, but, as I said, sonics is not a prerequisite.

128x128rvpiano
I ran across Weinberg a couple years ago and I wondered if he is enjoyed now.  Apparently lost to Soviet history for a long time and friend but not student of Shostakovich (liner notes.)  I found the ECM disc with Kremerata Baltica/Gidon Kremer to be enjoyable.  This has Sonatas and Symphony #10 which I have to listen to again.
Meanwhile I did discover I have Mahler's First (Bernstein) so I will definitely listen this week.  I enjoyed the 6th as mentioned.  I thought I had the 9th but don't seem to find it.
So what's up with Tchaikovsky #3?  Will some piano expert explain it to me?  It just sounds so anomalous (and to my ears, wrong), after #1.
I felt that way too, years ago when I first heard it.
But, I’m so tired of hearing #1, it sounds fresher to my ears. It’s not a bad piece at all. It takes some getting used to.  Very different from #1.
#2 is especially good.
The first piano concerto is truly a classic and allows the soloist to show his/her stuff.
The second and third never seem to capture that. Both have slow movements that border on maudlin.
The second has a nice final movement, technically super difficult, but doesn't allow the soloist to make it his/her own, like the first.
My 2 cents...
-Listening to DeBeriot Violin concertos as I write.
B
Liking #2 as I write, still on first movement.  Listening to the Donohoe/Barshai EMI recording, which seems very good.  An excellent breadth and depth of soundstage, and seems to get the balance between piano and orchestra just right, which many piano concerto recordings don't (generally spotlighting the soloist).