One Amp To ‘Rule’ Them All....

Is there one amplifier that everyone can agree on as a contemporary standard? An amplifier that can be considered a standard in both the studio and in a home stereo setup?

What one amplifier does everything very well and can be found in homes and in professional audio engineering environments?

What amp covers all the bases and gives you a glimpse into all qualities of fine musical reproduction?

...something Yamaha? ...something McIntosh?

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xbrettmcee
Try the new Soulution 330 intergrated amp . And forget about the down payment on a house
Brettmcee,

Even if we disregard opinion on sound quality, I don't think you will find any particular amp that a majority of people have actually heard.  I bet even the most common and long-lived amps have not been heard by more than 10% of the populace.  So, at a starting point, you might want to survey how many people have heard certain candidates.  I can offer the NAD 3020, Crown DC 300, Dynaco ST-70, McIntosh 275, and Adcom GFA 555 as sort of serious gear that where somewhat widely experienced (i.e., not including stuff like Bose tabletop models).
I’m with elizabeth.  However the Soulution 330 for only 25 grand is definitely a thought. 😂

JD

michaelgreenaudio,

"LOL

I’m sure that’s it."

Do not be so harsh on yourself. I am not sure, but I do suspect it is a part of it. What can you do? We all chose different careers. Your profession happens to be our hobby. You earn, we spend. Everybody happy.

I am not sure if I have ever mentioned it, but I do believe your room tuning thing actually works. I have never experienced it, but it makes sense. Explanations do not, though.

brettmcee,

Are you actually just looking for a good amp to buy?  
    If so, I think you phrased your post question in a manner that will not get you a satisfying answer.  It seems to me that you're looking for a shortcut in your search for an amp that does most things well, an understandable attempt to save time and guard against a poor choice.  
     You're obviously not going to receive a universally agreed upon named amp that is considered the best by Audiogon members.  
     If I'm correct, I suggest you just say so.  A better approach is to state your budget, room dimensions,ancillary equipment/speakers along with typical music played and preferred volume levels.

Just trying to help,
     Tim