One Amp To ‘Rule’ Them All....

Is there one amplifier that everyone can agree on as a contemporary standard? An amplifier that can be considered a standard in both the studio and in a home stereo setup?

What one amplifier does everything very well and can be found in homes and in professional audio engineering environments?

What amp covers all the bases and gives you a glimpse into all qualities of fine musical reproduction?

...something Yamaha? ...something McIntosh?

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xbrettmcee
It just seems like people really don’t care about taking care of each other anymore...  Much easier to mock and dismiss. Fend for yourself, good luck, audition, try, buy, buy buy.... Very very comfortable spending money for the next best thing. 

Some of us are not wealthy. Some of us are audiophiles out here on our own. It is not an extravagance. It is something we simply must do. And I think it can be done way more systematically from top to bottom.

....because there are so many types of bread and ways to slice it we need at least as many knives? I think we can do better.  

And if we want this industry to grow and to support our favorite designers we constantly need to bring new people in and help to educate them. 
brettmcee:
"That amp does not need to be perfect, but it needs to be competent, consistent, reasonably affordable and something we all can/could/will have a chance to hear."

Okay, that clarifies your question for me.

I would say that mikesfinest23's suggestion of a Hypex NCore based class D amp is a suggestion that meets all of your criteria you mentioned above.  
    These are actually a range of amps that are the best method I'm aware of for 'the masses to gain entry into audiophileland'.   These amps have measurable performance levels that objectively equal or surpass some of the finest and most expensive solid state amps both currently and ever made. As mikesfinest23 stated: "Superior measurable characteristics in terms of distortion, damping factor, efficiency, etc. while powering difficult loads down to 2ohms. Not to mention far more affordable that many suggested here..."

Here's a good link to learn more about Hypex NCore:

https://www.6moons.com/industryfeatures/ncore/1.html

Years ago, The Absolute Sound audio magazine defined the ideal amp as "a straight wire with gain".  This meant an amp that would take an inputted signal, amplify it faithfully without adding or subtracting anything and output this accurate signal to the speaker.  This is exactly what Hypex NCore, and several competing class D power modules, are very good at.
    The above leads to amps which have a sound quality best described as neutral.

Tim      
I am a major McIntosh fan.  While opinions differ McIntosh goes a long way back providing quality equipment.   The Greatful Dead used their equipment back in the early 70s for their “Wall of Sound”.

The produce solid equipment that holds value better than virtually all audio.  My MC501 mono blocks bought used in 2008 can be sold today for what I paid back then.  

They also make fabulous tube tube equipment as well.  Not everyone is a fan, but those who are make a strong market for much of their equipment, especially amps and preamps.

Management research has found that the best variable in estimating the probability that a firm will be in business a year from now is how long have they been in business.  For McIntosh that number is 71 years.

Just one guy’s view on Amps to rule them all.  We all have different needs, but for me, McIntosh rules them all.
I haven’t listened to a McIntosh yet in my setup. I have been very curious to hear what so many rave about.

What is a good place to start with McIntosh amps, something that can handle 1ohm loads. Right now I have Kappa 7 and 8’s and Yamaha NS-10’s available. At the moment whatever amp comes into my system needs to handle low ohms just to be safe.  I have Kappa 9’s but those things are rediculous. 
Only one answer for all these scenarios, and I’m shocked everyone is avoiding the obvious:

A pair of Psychron Master Legend Retro ES20 monoblocks

Hybrid design, switchibable, dual everything...