Which Class D Amplifier? PS Audio, Ghent, Nord, Merrill or other???

I’m looking for a new amp & want Class D.

I’ve seen various brands mentioned, such as PS Audio, Ghent, Nord, Merrel to name a few, but I’ve not heard any of them.

Which company is producing the best sounding Class D?
Which models should I be looking to demo?

Thanks

singintheblues
 guido...how’s the Rowland M535 review coming along? please let us know when it’s ready for prime time... thanks.
Guido, Please let us know how big a difference there is between a single 535 vs a bridged pair in your evaluation, thanks.
This is the amplifier to buy made by Nord Acoustics Colin will sell direct worldwide please mention John from Select-hifi please to confirm your order, i own a pair of the one UP NC500 monos with REV D boards fitted with 2 x Sonic Imagery OP-AMPS, in each output channel, the sound is breathtaking i cannot think of anything else i have heard that sounds as good for anywhere near the price.YMMV.

OVERVIEW OF HYPEX NC1200

We are exited to offer our new Hypex NC1200 based amplifier using Hypex’s best module and Nord REV D buffer boards.

Until recently the Hypex NC1200 was only available to a few Manufactures and with amplifiers costing upwards of £10K. We had access to the module but with a minimum pricing policy of £6.5K decided was to expensive for a boutique manufacture like Nord. A recent change in pricing policy means we are free to price as we feel fit. Without the expensive infrastructure of distributors , dealers, Reps, advertising, shows and other expensive we can bring you this exhaulted amplifier at a reasonable cost.

Using Hypex NC1200 modules powered by Hypex SMPS1200A700 PSU’s and a bespoke Nord Buffer designed specifically for the NC1200 and housed in our SE case work.

The amp is packed with high end components from mains inlet to the speaker binding posts.

Furutech FI-06 solid Copper Gold IEC mains inlet with Furutech FP-SO22N mains cable throughout. Furutech FT-786F R Rhodium XLR Sockets. WBT­-0705Ag Signature Nextgen Solid Silver Conductor binding posts and connected by Neotech UP-OCC 14AWG Solid OCC Copper wire. Fuses TBC. No sonic stone unturned.

The new NC1200 bufferboard uses two Op Amps per channel and runs even further into Class A delivering up to 250mA of Class A current fed into the Hypex NC1200 module. The result is more tonal depth, dramatic improvement in bass, even greater depth of soundstage, slightly more detail all wrapped in a balance of rich texture and harmonics, bottom-end presence , amazing dynamics, exquisite resolution in the mids and upper frequencies, and a fully revealed, fully dimensional sound stage Headroom and listening volumes have increased and all combine in a totally musical non fatiguing Class A sound. Gone, if there was any hint, of solid state amplifier.

The MKI uses REV C Buffer Board with choice of Sparkos SS3602 or Sonic Imagery 994 Op Amps.

After an intense development and Op Amp evaluation we tried 3 op amps, from John Hardy, Sonic Imagery and Sparkos Labs. Despite excellent reports on the John Hardy 990C we preferred the Sparkos 2590 and Sonic Imagery 990 Enh. Both are excellent the difference in presentation is less than with the previous versions we used. We much prefer the Sonic Imagery. The Power sections Panasonic electrolytic capacitors value were chosen to deliver the best and fastest combination of attack and sustain the bass notes, small values have a faster flinch capacity to deliver crisp bass. To small and they run out of power to deliver sustained bass. We evaluated multiple devices before settling on 22uF.

The new REV D buffer will also accept the two previous Op amps The SI994 and the Sparkos SS3602 in DIP8 packages. We have also further enhanced the peripheral circuit implementing further counter noise reduction. The new REV D is 100% compatible with our previous MKI amp and offer upgrades to the new spec.

The new amp also benefits from a new symmetrical internal and rear panel layout resulting in shorter internal cable runs. We have also rebated the front Stainless Steel switch for a cleaner front panel (photos are not rebated) which has a Dim and Off setting via the back panel.

Mad respect to Colin. About 6 months ago I came very close to buying, his Ice Edge then learned more about NCore and could not decide. Complicating the purchase, Im in USA, where there is almost zero Nord resale market

Prior to my next purchase I had 2 Emerald Physics 100.2 SEs with upgraded fuses, which I found thin in the mids  (they replaced a W4S MC 250/500 multi-channel amp)  the 250 sounded different than the 500. I latter learned they were different modules

I replaced the EPs with a used Audio Alchemy DPA -1 (stereo amp: MSRP $1995), which I bought at ~ 50% off. My preamp is the AA DDP-1.(also $1995 (sans PS 5 power supply: $695).

This combination trounced the EP.  After many months I was finally able to purchase a demo PS 5 power supply at 30% off. That addition can be likened to a young boys puberty voice change.

I also am taking delivery of a slightly used (~ 300 hours) 3 piece PS Audio M700s (Ice modules) + Gain Cell dac//pre at ~ 40% off.

These class D experiences will prepare me for what comes next, but sooner or later there will be a next 

I hear you saying "BUT"

Well, this Nord could well be many people's last amp purchase, but what about GaN, etc?  The good and bad is Class D is a fast moving target. Both Ric of EVS and Ralph of Atmosphere are entering the game soon 
That’s cool news from Nord. I’ve always heard the nc1200 was better than the nc400 or 500 but not sure where the differences are. Has anybody had a chance to compare the nc1200 to the 400 or 500?