Which Class D Amplifier? PS Audio, Ghent, Nord, Merrill or other???

I’m looking for a new amp & want Class D.

I’ve seen various brands mentioned, such as PS Audio, Ghent, Nord, Merrel to name a few, but I’ve not heard any of them.

Which company is producing the best sounding Class D?
Which models should I be looking to demo?

Thanks

singintheblues
Hi Guido.
Thanks for the info, my friend. Very interesting about Bruno leaving Hypex to found Purifi.
The progress of class D technology continues to be very interesting and promising.

Tim

Tim,

The input stage on an amp is not an output stage.  Output stages have to drive a speaker, so you would not want current limiting.  The input stage is just an op amp.  Most integrated circuit op amps cannot drive over 100ma.  They are using a discrete op amp that can drive 250ma.  In fact, the circuit will never need much current at all.  As all that will come out of it is a few volts and driving maybe 5K load.  They are basically bragging about their discrete op amp.  The spec has very little to do with sound.  You could have a circuit that could only drive 50ma that could sound better.

ricevs,

Thanks for clarifying.  I knew it was a class A input buffer stage, which is good, but wondered if its 250mA class A operating limit would negatively affect sound quality performance.  I now understand it will not thanks to your very good explanation.

Thanks,
  Tim
     It looks like Bruno Putzeys new company, Purifi, has more interests than just class D amps:

https://www.purifi-audio.com/index.php

Tim

What if they are not?
Like their directional ac mains fuse, there is only one answer to that.