Isn't a wondeful time to be an audiophile?

With all the new lower or intro priced vs. performance gear coming out recently. And with choices of sources, CD/ Streaming. I'm just thinking of how it must be for the newly converted. I started out back in the mid seventies. Let's see,if I remember correctly - Phono, Linn. Ortophon Dynevector Audio Technica?  Reel to Reel, Cassette. Dolby filters. Ohm's F, Snell, JBL speakers. Just to name a few. But I am impressed with the performance vs. price ratio of some of the new gear I've heard. For which ever reason, technical, marketing, production. There are certainly I believe not only more products to choose from but the choices are more affordable as well.
128x128joes44
My system, the entire system, cost about ten bucks. Is that wrong? Actually, I have two systems, one analog, one CD. Total cost twenty bucks. Am I damned to hell? 😳
One thing I think may be a bit different today is that when I went to college, everyone listened to music.  Whether played on a cheap grind o matic stereo or a decent for the day component system, we all listened to each other’s favorites from 68-72.   

I was introduced to Jethro Tull, early Steve Miller while sharing Janis Joplin, Cream, Allman Bros, then hearing Roberta Flack, etc.  It went on and on as the men and women in my social circle all owned albums.  Everyone seemed to have a different favorite and we all grew as a result.   I am not certain that goes on as much these days.

I view the term audiophile as a lover of good music.  We all have different budgets and situations.  Now that the statute of limitations has passed, I have many funny and interesting stories from those times.

I also agree with Elizabeth about newbies and the information they receive regarding gear.   My system has been stable for a while, but there seems to be a proliferation of new equipment and technology in the past number of years.
The other thing about AM was the sound "quality" would frequently get fuzzy at night. Didn't stop me from making mixed tapes though. 
A great time to be an audiophile, and a seemingly bad time to be inna. From my KLH Model 20 I bought in 1970 or something (had a groovy portable Sears rig before that, as my income when younger generally went to poor musician needs), to the amazingly high resolution gear I own now, it's a straight line upwards in the quality of the musical experience. I own used gear that displays an astonishingly high level of musicality, and some newer bits here and there that are relatively inexpensive and sound amazingly good. If any young person is put off by the wealth of information displayed on this or any other hobbyist site, they must be very young or have been kept away from a computer by luddite-like forces, because that's how all things worth knowing about (and some that simply are nonsense) are these days. I'm in a prolonged late life beatnik phase that's led me to more serious jazz both as someone who likes it, and, luckily, someone who mixes live concerts and attends shows here and there. Listen to "Band Menu" by Bill Stewart and if you don't think it's amazingly well recorded stuff, there is simply something wrong with you, or you're unable to assemble a listenable system. Period. So keep grousing "innas of the world," and I'll happily keep enjoying the art that's there for everybody to be enriched by.