The Science of Vinyl/Analog Setups

It seems to me that there is too little scientific, objective evidence for why vinyl/analog setups sound the way they do. When I see discussions on tables, cartridges, tonearms and even phono cables, physical attributes are discussed; things like isolation, material, geometry, etc. and rarely are things discussed like wow, rumble, resonance, compliance, etc. Why is this? Why aren’t vinyl/analog setups discussed in terms of physical measurements very often?

Seems to me like that would increase the customer base. I know several “objectivists” that won’t accept any of your claims unless you have measurements and blind tests. If there were measurements that correlated to what you hear, I think more people would be interested in vinyl/analog setups. 

I know vinyl/analog setups are often system-dependent but there are still many generalizations that can be made.
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xcelander
Here is a pile of saved stuff about ’Everything you ever wanted to know how to" for LP playback and TT setup"
https://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/d.pl?audio/faq.html#vinylit includes other stuff in plucking the url, so do scroll down the list a bit to start the vinyl/TT section.
Anyone that concerned with specs, should stick to digital.

In the end, it's simply a subjective decision. Playing a record either sounds more convincing or not. 

Best specs on white paper is important, but how can that ensure everyone will agree it sounds "good?"
celander
I know several “objectivists” that won’t accept any of your claims unless you have measurements and blind tests.
Who cares?

I’m glad you put "objectivisits" in quotes. Real objectivists conduct their own measurement and listening tests and they don’t automatically dismiss the experience of others. The people you’re describing are really "measurementalists." They worship the tests conducted by others and believe numbers, charts and graphs are sufficient to describe the sound of a component.
"...rarely are things discussed like wow, rumble, resonance, compliance, etc. Why is this? Why aren’t vinyl/analog setups discussed in terms of physical measurements very often?"

I disagree. These features and specifications are very often discussed here in these threads. I would bet that most, if not all, vinyl enthisiasts here pay very close attention to the measurable aspects for cartridges, arms and turntables when making not only decisions as to what to buy, but what to listen to before purchasing.

Do you have a specific question about any piece of equipment you're interested in?
@elizabeth Thanks for your post—a wealth of info in that link.

@tablejockey True enough.

@cleeds Indeed, you are correct. It’s about things other than being objective. Measurements are used often to justify the objectivist argument. But therein lies the trap—measurements often have subjective presumptions tied into the mix.

@stevecham I have no Q’s about specific items.

As the astute will recognize, I created this thread to funnel similar posts away from the “The Science of Cables” thread in the Cables sub-forum.

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/the-science-of-cables